1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dawlish Carnival Airshow - Thursday 14th August 2008

Discussion in 'Forthcoming Events' started by John_Baker, Aug 2, 2008.

1. OneTen

OneTen 'Two Breakfasts'

I'll be using a 200mm and a 400mm (hiring this one).

2. John_Baker

John_Baker Well-Known Member

Better not be the 2.8 version :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
    The one bit I remember from last year was being totally kn*cker*d after many hours upper body work – the 5.6L is a joy to use...
    :D :D

3. OneTen

OneTen 'Two Breakfasts'

The 5.6L John, like yours. Only problem I have now is my back has just gone...playing with the cat on the lawn after work. It's starting to ease now.

4. bob58

bob58 Well-Known Member

well i will go with what i got see how i get on :D

the typhoon which i have seen once before was at dartmouth regetta which i must say was quite an experience in how close you are to the flying display
    i did get a reasonable one of the typhoon if my memory is correct was with the 28-135 which was the one and only time i have had ago at planes

looking forward to meeting you all

[​IMG]

5. aiwa_yamaha

aiwa_yamaha Well-Known Member

Yeah the typhoon was my favorite and yes quite an experience. And yeah looking forward to meeting some other members of the forum, should be a good day. If i can make it :D

6. Nod

Nod Well-Known Member

Fingers crossed for the weather! I'll be bringing a 70-300VR and a 170-500. Hopefully there'll be enough light for reasonable ISO settings.

7. Steve52

Steve52 Well-Known Member

Are we all agreed then, that we'll meet at 10am outside Dawlish Station?

8. OneTen

OneTen 'Two Breakfasts'

Yep, train arrives at 10:10.

9. bob58

bob58 Well-Known Member

blimey you lot got some big lens there :) can you hand hold all this stuff ?

if you need tripod dont know but wont you be stuggling to put them up with so many people around

10. bob58

bob58 Well-Known Member

i shall be arriving with richard so hopefully wont get lost :D

11. John_Baker

I have had a chat with Steve to see what he thinks would be the best spot to set up camp, while there are a number of spots around most are quite a hike, we would therefore suggest somewhere along the sea wall – it is the centre of the show and has great views.
    This is what it looks like...

[​IMG]

Walk along to the end & you have some great views over Dawlish Warren & Exmouth

[​IMG]

Steve and I will be at the station from around 10:00 we can see what the weather is like - the forecast is mostly cloudy, but I am sure it may change by then...

12. Nod

Nod Well-Known Member

I'm guessing that I'll be on the train that arrives at 10:10, all things being equal and the weather looking 1/2 reasonable! Getting too old to do cold, wet and miserable!

13. OneTen

OneTen 'Two Breakfasts'

The weather forecast is looking grim for the week ahead. Are you all happy to stand around in the rain?

14. bob58

bob58 Well-Known Member

not really......unless of course we go ahead turn up then go somewhere else if its that bad?

richard i shall go down station in min to see about prices and availability

15. John_Baker

I have the whole day, so I am happy to consider an alternative “dry programme" – remember that we still have a “free invite” back to the Butterfly farm at Buckfast – which would at least be hot! More than happy to pick up a car full from the station...

We could then come back to a different spot to get some of the Dawlish show, if there was any break in the weather – have a think...

16. Steve52

Hi All

There's a rumour that because of the weather, The Red Arrows may cancel. Not sure about the other displays though. The Fireworks display has already been re-scheduled to the Bank Holiday weekend. Apparently, the organisers would have to give a day's notice, so may not know until Wednesday.

I remember the weather was similar a couple of years back and the Arrows displayed then. Forecast (BBC, 5 day, Dawlish) is a black cloud with 1 rain drop and yellow streaks, which is what todays forecast was (hope that makes sense). I'll check daily and post accordingly.

Butterfly farm seems a good alternative, especially as it's free.

17. bob58

bob58 Well-Known Member

i will go along with anything
    you cant always rely on the forecast it could peeing down here but glorious there

18. John_Baker

Picking up on Steve's post, today has been a real mixed bag, glorious blue skies & white fluffy clouds, interspersed with it p**ing down, but it is moving through & the rain is not lasting long! – I think they are predicting it turning quite extreme tonight, which may continue into Thursday – I am totally flexible on the day, happy to go with the flow & make it up as we go…

Options could include -
    · Buckfast Butterflies – but realise that is not everyone cup of tea – but it would be free... I would need to phone if people want that
    · Local museum/cathedral/churches/buildings - etc
    · If it gets really bad we could go to Mifsuds, play with some expensive toys & blag some free coffee & biscuits...

19. Steve52

The airshow is due to start between 12.30pm and 1pm and will finish by 5.15pm.
    The Red Arrows will display in the latter half of the afternoon.
    The local radio (Gemini FM) reckoned the Red Arrows will be prforming at 5pm.

BBC weather update is a black cloud with 2 drops and yellow streaks, with visibility poor.

I was chatting to someone in Essex who claimed that The Daily Mirror printed a picture of The Red Arrows performing at Bristol. Apparently, the weather was bad, but they still done the show. I tried to find said picture on Mirror's website, but couldn't. Nothing on Red Arrows website either.

20. bob58

bob58 Well-Known Member

same here dont mind anything, although wont tell the missus about mifsuds /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif been in there very easy to get carried away, she dragged me out in the end when we called in :D
    will contact richard tomorrow see what he wants to do i have mentioned to him that if easier and more flexible due to weather i am willing to drive