1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dawlish Carnival Airshow - Thursday 14th August 2008

Discussion in 'Forthcoming Events' started by John_Baker, Aug 2, 2008.

1. John_Baker

John_Baker Well-Known Member

This was quite successful last year, the air event was spectacular considering the size of Dawlish – more detail http://tinyurl.com/6zk545

Current line up...
    • The RAF Red Arrows Aerobatics Team
    • The Royal Jordanian Falcons
    • The Battle of Britain Memorial Flight
    • The RAF Eurofighter Typhoon
    • RNAS Sea King Display with the RNLI Lifeboats
    • RAF Tucano
    • The Army Air Corps Historical Flight
    • Hawker Hunter
    • Beachjet
    • Naval Historical Flight Wasp helicopter

Always worth a pic :D
    [​IMG]

& just to show it was Dawlish...
    [​IMG]

Of course all we need is a bit of sun to make it go well - :rolleyes:

2. OneTen

OneTen 'Two Breakfasts'

Do you fancy meeting up John? I just need to check I can take the day off work, should be OK.

3. Nod

Nod Well-Known Member

Where was that helicopter shot taken from?

Might be able to make it if there's a meet in the offing.

4. Badgerman

Badgerman Well-Known Member

Same ere. :)

5. John_Baker

I have nothing on in August apart from a major meeting on……… the 14th – It has taken 18 months of planning, so trying to slip it to Sept should not be a problem!!!!

Anyway, last year I met with James, parked in Holcombe and walked down below the Smugglers pub, if this link works it should be ringed
    http://www.multimap.com/s/939uqt2A
    Basically it was above one of the railway tunnel exits, this train stopped in just the right place...
    [​IMG]

The location was great for most of the day, it was a little off the flight path for the Typhoon...
    [​IMG]

What I would suggest is meet in Teignmouth park up, then get the train around to Dawlish, the place does get really busy, it is only one stop and takes about 6 minutes?? I will be able to confirm if I am available on Monday

6. Nod

Nod Well-Known Member

I would probably let the train take the strain too. I should be able to abuse the wife's work parking privileges which are about 1 minute's walk from Central! I'm told that the walk should do me good.

7. OneTen

OneTen 'Two Breakfasts'

What time would we need to meet at Dawlish? I'm just looking at bus/train services.

8. Badgerman

Badgerman Well-Known Member

I will hitch a lift with the Red Arrows... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif :)

9. OneTen

OneTen 'Two Breakfasts'

I can get to Dawlish by 10:10.

10. John_Baker

Not ignoring you, I am trying to re-schedule my meeting – unfortunately my contact is currently in the States – but I don’t think it will be a problem.

11. OneTen

OneTen 'Two Breakfasts'

Sorry John, I wasn't pushing, just getting excited. :D Looks like Jen will be coming with me.

12. Steve52

Steve52 Well-Known Member

I suggest we all meet up at Dawlish Station. Say at 10am, in time for Richard's (and Jen) train.

This was taken from Coastgurds Cafe and more or less pointing towards where John (JFBaker) was sited.

[​IMG]

13. OneTen

OneTen 'Two Breakfasts'

Is there a good place to stand, slightly elevated that would give a clean background?

14. John_Baker

Don't worry, there is a long sea wall stretching several miles, most of the action takes place out to sea, so the background is down to the vagaries of the weather, hopefully we will get some blue!

Where I was standing last year was really good for things like the Red Arrows as they displayed along the coast, but was not so good for the Typhoon which had a much tighter display window which was centered on the town – Steve52 has the real local knowledge, I am sure if we go for the 10 am meet we will be able to find somewhere interesting!

Here is one looking out to sea with a bit of foreground, looking across towards James in Dawlish...
    [​IMG]

Looks like I now have the day clear!!! Just hope the weather is good...

15. aiwa_yamaha

aiwa_yamaha Well-Known Member

John i will talk to my sister but i spoke to my mum and she said she may want to go over. I'll sort it out. My sister is at work at the moment but will let you know if she wants to head over.

16. Steve52

This was taken from where I was standing. It is on one of the footbridges over the railway. John would be to my right and the large boat in John's picture was more-or-less in front of me. It's not a very big vantage point, especially if you are using a tripod. There is a small green area above, but there is a great big aerial, which can spoil some of the shots.

[​IMG]

Obviously found out that my sensor needed a clean!!

17. bob58

bob58 Well-Known Member

hi
    i can make this outing :cool:

just sorting possible travel arrangements with richard

what kit people here taking i will probaly take my sigma 55-200 longest lens i got and my 17-85is ?

18. aiwa_yamaha

aiwa_yamaha Well-Known Member

Sounds good. All i used last time was my 70-200. One reason was because i didn't really have time to keep swapping lenses around. I got some far distance shots like Johns using 70mm although John was lucky to get the train shot with the plane as he had a 35-350 something (not sure, i use Nikon).

[​IMG]

Crist looking back on that image from last year it looks madly over exposed, i think after a year i'll be able to shoot better. Maybe I'll try shooting raw this time as I've recently started shooting it.

If anything you'll need a longer focal length, but from last years experience it wasn't the end of the world using 200mm. Gordan the other person that came with me and John had the 100-400 lens which was great for getting close.

19. Steve52

All I used was a Sigma 170-500. Might take my 28-80 for some wide angle stuff.

20. John_Baker

Sorry I did not respond last night – fun of Pipex, the router says I have an ADSL connection but it did not allow me to connect to the server and make an internet connection – deep joy…

Bob – good to have you on board - Last year I was mainly using the 35-350L which was great as it allowed me zoom back and get general shots. However, 95% of the shots were done at the longest length e.g. 350mm, this year I will add my new 400 to the mix as the AF and image quality is in a different league to the zoom – I may also have a go with a 1.4x converter.

The Reds are quite easy as they do an extended show along the coast line, so you get great views from everywhere, it is also quite nice to get them in the context, I always think that a single aircraft could be taken anywhere. The problem tends to be with the Typhoon which is so manoeuvrable, small, fast, combined with quite a small display footprint - which all combine to makes it quite difficult to get a great shot