1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

David Bailey at the NPG - 6 Feb to 1 June 2014

Discussion in 'Forthcoming Events' started by Malcolm_Stewart, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

2. andrebogaert

andrebogaert Well-Known Member

Thanks for taking the trouble to post this info. I'll be there, although I don't think I will be alone...............

3. Malcolm_Stewart

I enjoyed my visit on the last day of his exhibition in the East End which finished in August 2012. As they were closing not long after I got there, I came away with several freebies. There certainly weren't any crowds on the day I visited - and I enjoyed my venture into the East End - I suspect where I went it was sanitised compared to when he was shooting the Kray brothers.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...ileys-East-End-in-pictures.html?frame=2269849

4. Malcolm_Stewart

Well yesterday I visited David Bailey's Stardust exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery, and also visited the Steve McCurry exhibition at Beetles + Huxley in Swallow Street, off Piccadilly - about a 20 minute walk away from the NPG. (20 minutes as I was taking photos on the way...)

I bought the accompanying book, Stardust, at the NPG, and am glad I did. It's heavy, but it's very well printed on thick paper with useful notes and an essay about Bailey's photography. If anything, I prefer the prints in the book to some which were on display in the exhibition. The blacks are denser, I think, and I've found it easier to discern the details in some of the photographs in the book - particularly those from the Naga Hills region. And, of course, viewing in the privacy of my home, I can linger on the naked images... without embarrassment.
    I also bought and have enjoyed the small "Bailey Exposed" volume which has a range of photos and quotes.

The Steve McCurry exhibition is much smaller, free, and again I bought the accompanying book, £10. His snaps of Afghanistan show a very different view to those we're all accustomed to seeing from the TV news. He obviously respects the Afghans and makes Afghanistan seem to be worth visiting. (Obviously, his 1979 photo of the well known "Afghan Girl" is on display, and seen close up it's stunning.) Well worth visiting.