1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Darkroom Safelight Filters

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by butchers, Sep 25, 2017.

1. butchers

butchers New Member

I am setting up my traditional film darkroom, initially concentrating on black and white.
    And need some information relating to Kodak Wratten Darkroom Safelight Filters.

I want to be able to use the correct filter for the related printing paper, and need to know the details for a specific filter.
    Which is Kodak Number 0B, and Filter Colour Amber Yellow.
    I need to know which Kodak materials this Filter can be used for.

I have located technical information for the other Kodak Wratten Safelight Filters that I have, but not this one.
    I know there are traditional darkroom gurus out there that can help me with this.

2. Benchmark

Benchmark Well-Known Member

Are you aiming to make everything traditional, including the safelight?

I have only ever used a Patterson safelight for B&W, (essentially a 25 Watt incandescent light bulb with an orange plastic cover), but I would imagine there are LED safelights available nowadays, providing a much narrower spectrum of light.

3. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

It won't work with any current Kodak papers, because there aren't any.

With most other makers' papers, it'll probably work adequately at 1 metre away or more, unless it has faded too badly. Testing safelights is fortunately not difficult.

Personally I'd go for a plain red Paterson: safe for any length of time and at any distance for most papers. Or LED or sodium vapour. We have 2x Paterson red in our current darkroom.

Cheers,

R.

4. butchers

butchers New Member

I already have a few Kodak glass Safelight filters, 8"x10" with the filter holder. I would like to use them, but I want to ensure that I use the correct filter for the appropriate photographic material.
    I simply need information about the filter that I have mentioned, I have obtained technical data on my other Kodak safelight filters but not this one.

5. Benchmark

If you download the data sheets for the materials in question you should find handling information there, including Safelight recommendations.

6. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Nigel,

But you'll still need to test old and possibly faded filters, cf. post 3.

Cheers,

R.

7. Benchmark

Agreed. And as you say, it is not difficult to test the safelights using some of the paper.