1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Damien's 'Build Your Own Pinhole' [2 Images]

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by OneTen, Sep 23, 2008.

1. OneTen

OneTen 'Two Breakfasts'

Excellent work there Ant, IMHO you've got the winner right there. :D

2. John_Baker

John_Baker Well-Known Member

Re: Win an AP mug - Damien's 'Build Your Own Pinhole' [3 Images]

What did you expect from a 1D MkII... Who said it was all in the lens!!!

Oh I forgot this post, I am off to the shop to buy a foil wrapped bar of choc or two to make some new lenses (honest!)...

3. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

You'd better be quick :)

4. AntSmith

AntSmith Well-Known Member

Too kind ;^D But you wouldn't really want ANOTHER mug would you?? But eriously, much kudos to you for getting us going on this track...

5. John_Baker

KitKat Boto'Flex - HDR

Whoo – nothing like a challenge… Drops everything - One kitkat wrapper later (I totally blame AP for destroying my diet – anyway, all for the good of the cause & my tum!!!!).

‘ere we go then “autumnal leaves a’la kitkat” – a simple composition, enhanced by a quasi HDR technique, balancing the optical characteristics of the hole, with the light scattering properties of the residue chocolate and a simple additional layer technique, to balance the delicate colours and structure of the withering leaves...

[​IMG]

6. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

The inaugural 'art editor challenge' is now closed. Keep an eye out for future events. Entry fees may apply

As you can see it's been a great success. I would like to thank everyone who took part and the spirit in which they did so.

Due to the high volume of entries I have decided to forgo any voting, it would just take forever, and choose a winner myself.

There can of course only be one winner.

Which is why I have decided to award both a 2nd and a 3rd prize.

Would anyone who entered PM me with their details and I will have their prizes sent asap.
    As you may know there appears to be a slight backlog in the prize dispatching dept. at the moment so please be patient :cool:

7. John_Baker

Extreme Kat Pin’holing (6<100kb)

Having spent some time investigating the Kitten Kat lens, I decided to go for the Uber’kat... Introducing the “Bellowing Kat MkII N”

[​IMG]

The flash was a late addition, hence the N in the title, as I really could not be bothered to get the tripod out the car!

So what was it like – in a single word it was *rap! Unless I was going for sun shots, the image was black, so it really was a case of point and shoot. So after a bit of trial and error, I started to get blurred things on the sensor...

1 - Miss...
    [​IMG]

2 - getting there...
    [​IMG]

3 - sort of 'ish
    [​IMG]

In the interest of science, ok, so I was marginally intrigued by then, I did a minimum extension shot...

4 - Min extension
    [​IMG]

Then at full extension to see what the difference would be...
    5 - full extension
    [​IMG]

Finally one with the original kitten Mk1 lens, plus flash
    6 - "Mog" the Cat taken with a Kit Kat
    [​IMG]

8. AntSmith

Re: Extreme Kat Pin’holing (6<100kb)

It really makes me smile seeing all this kit clustered around a hole instead of a lens! I'm sticking a piece of polythene to the front of a Nikon D200 to take these - ironic but really, great fun...

I haven't refined my pin at all - but hopefully here's some more with a little better technique:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope there's another challenge soon, I need to kick this pinhole habit!!!!

Cheers
    All

9. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

I really like them, not sure what it is about them, but... The dandelion head is particularly appealing. :cool:

10. AntSmith

Thanks...I think its the uniqueness of the blur in pinhole shots that makes them appealing- you just don't see that precise effect, and especially in this day of digital precision!! The blur really lets the quality of the light come through...it has been much fun especially taking shots in trafalgar square with people looking at the camera thinking 'is that a lens or what' ?

11. John_Baker

Fully agree – the bit I will remember is that if I ever want to check the state of a sensor on a camera, a simple pinhole lens will reveal very quickly any damage or marks. It was a bit of fun, but it will be nice to put something I can actually focus back on the front of the camera – I am waiting to see what the next DIY project will bring?

12. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

mmm, wonder if can find a spare eos body cap?