1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Damien's 'Build Your Own Pinhole' [2 Images]

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by OneTen, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Larry Shone

Larry Shone Well-Known Member

Re: Win an AP mug - Damien's 'Build Your Own Pinhole' [2 Images]

Yea but what I'm saying is one could cheat easily enough,but if they ask to see the digital file then Busted! Now i wonder what exposures you'd be using-i imagine a lot of noise cropping up.

2. OneTen

OneTen 'Two Breakfasts'

It's just a bit of fun. :D

3. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Obviously not to some people :D

4. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

That's easy for you to say, you haven't had to write out the rules… plus as the only entrant (so far) you're on to a winner… 'less you fall foul of Rule 54k of course :)

5. OneTen

OneTen 'Two Breakfasts'

A gentleman would never agree to that (Rule 54k). :eek:

6. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

That's life... :rolleyes:

7. John_Baker

John_Baker Well-Known Member

I tried...

OK so I was sad enough to have a go as well - 1D MkII with a new homemade botto’flex pinhole lens...

My lens started life as an old body cap – I then drilled a large hole through the middle'ish, then I put some kitchen foil over the big hole & in the best “Blue Peter” tradition stuck the edges down with some tape, then I shoved a pin through and I was ready for action – turn around time under 3 mins!!!

Here is the new lens, please note this was the pretty face, the other side is not quite so aesthetically pleasing, I will also keep it covered for the moment just in case anyone copies the strategic positioning of the tape!
    [​IMG]

First attempt, possibly made the hole a little too big – but I had something!
    [​IMG]

Tried again, made a new lens, this time with a much smaller hole, it was a 30 sec exposure – I will try it tomorrow on something a little more challenging. At least with the long exposure you could not see my wife shaking with laughter…
    [​IMG]

I thought I had a fairly clean sensor, jeez it was horrendous, this is a great technique for checking your sensor for damage and spots!

8. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

Re: I tried...

YAY! This competition is really hotting up now! :)
    Due to this sudden rush of entries I've decided to extend the unannounced deadline until next Friday. :D

9. AJUK

AJUK Well-Known Member

Re: Win an AP mug - Damien's 'Build Your Own Pinhole' [3 Images]

Is pinhole supposed to be that blurry?

10. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

Depends whether the pin was sharp. ;)

11. OneTen

OneTen 'Two Breakfasts'

It can be whatever you want it to be. :D

12. AntSmith

AntSmith Well-Known Member

Depends on the size of the hole - a big hole gives shorter exposures (making it possible to photograph people, say) but gives you a blurry result... that's why ebay is full of adds for laser cut pinholes...

I've just made mine, will see if I can get any decent shots with it tomorrow - I did use a pin...actually I started the hole with the tip of a pin then used 5A fuse wire

13. AntSmith

So here's my attachment:
    [​IMG]

I started the pinhole with the tip of a needle then widened it with 5A fuse wire. 4turns of fuse wire measured 1mm so the hole is about 0.25mm.

Sandwiched the sunbstrate between a nikon BR2a reversing ring and a skylight filter.

Here's my best shot so far:
    [​IMG]

I'll postthe rest in next message so this isnt too big...

14. AntSmith

Couple of my faves:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like the chromatic abberations in this one
    [​IMG]

15. AntSmith

and these show the level of 'sharpness' my pinhole gives me
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope I didn't post too many - but this is fun!

16. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

Uh oh! :eek:

I imagine that Richard, after the announcement earlier today, thought he was half way to a six piece mug service!

Time will tell if he has an answer to this late flurry of activity? :)

17. AntSmith

Does it close tomorrow then? If not I might even have time to answer richards as yet unstated answer...or does that way madness lie....

18. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

'33a: The rules of this competition are subject to (constant) change.'

There is, of course, also Mr Baker to contend with in this tightly fought contest.

Watch out for future 'challenges' btw. I'm presently in negotiation with Miranda for some incredible prizes! :)

19. AntSmith

Yes, the devilish Mr. Baker and his uncanny ability to photograph people at sub-f/128 aperture settings...awesome, unless he also had one of those victorian neckbraces!

20. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

In that case I'll have to award extra points (237d). I didn't realise that he has a bad back :(