1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Damien Demolder Departing.

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by hartley353, Nov 23, 2013.

1. hartley353

hartley353 Well-Known Member

My best wishes to Damien as his position of Amateur Photographer Editor Disappears. You leave with the knowledge that your stewardship has been appreciated and your time well spent. Best wishes for the future...Mike.

2. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

What is your source for this please?

3. Grierson

Grierson Well-Known Member

Yes, it's a great shame. I too would like to offer my best wishes for whatever the future holds. A highly respected individual in both the technical editor and overall editor positions I'm sure many will miss him.

Not at all sure of the alternative but only time will tell!

4. Grierson

Grierson Well-Known Member

This weeks AP Editorial by Damien

5. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

Oh well, there's nothing better than from the 'orse's mouth. My issue didn't arrive today.

I'm sure that someone of Damien's experience and knowledge will only go on to greater things. Whoever takes over (MJ?) will have an easy transition on a magazine that has improved under Damien's stewardship.

Best Wishes from me Tharg :) and thanks.

6. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

My issue did not arrive today either. What was written? I am surprised at the move and also surprised that there is nothing on the main website. I thought that AP was doing well under DD's editorship?

7. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Oh wow! I'm shocked but am not surprised. That's a weird thing to post, isn't it? But that's how it is for me. I had a strange sort of feeling from a while back that this was on the cards. Mere instinct, nothing else to go on. I think DD and the team have done a really good job over the years. Yeah, maybe the odd low point but lots of highs to counter them or obliterate them from memory.

Do we know what Damien is going to be doing? It wouldn't be a job with Pentax, by any chance? ;):D

All the best DD!

And thanks. :)

8. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Best wishes, Damien, Sir.

"... the historic position of AP Editor is to disappear and the team will join that of What Digital Camera under Group Editor Nigel Atherton."

Yes, my subscription copy arrived on time this week, something it's not done on 3 out of the last 6 occasions :-(

EDIT:
    ...and Damien's editorial ends this week with the taster
    "We will meet again."

I do hope so, and soon

9. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Reading the editorial carefully it sounds awfully like the end of AP as we know it. Presumably that is why I dot a free copy of What Digital Camera with AP this week

A great pity, but at least that is one subscription I can cancel

10. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

An annual sub to AP is being offered as a prize at the moment.

11. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

All magazines & newspapers are under great pressure. Yet another 'product' where price increases - especially at the present time - were the opposite of what is needed to achieve sales.

Yet the raw materials - for the newstand product - are not only open to their own wild price fluctuations but are bulky & have to be transported several times and are taxed - indirectly or directly - at each move and very heavily when it comes to transport. The raw materials for producing the newstand product - ie. people - also come with their costs attached, especially in central London. We are starting to price ourselves out of business in the UK & Europe but a lot of people in decision making positions at the top appear to be oblivious or unconcerned or content with 'sticking plaster fixes' here & there.

That AP was able to stay weekly for so long was an achievement. I fully expected it to follow the BJP away from being a weekly before now, perhaps becoming a 'fortnightly' publication before changing to monthly. Maybe they are going to try some cost saving with the editorial & associated operations of production. Two magazines, some team overlap but very different content with one weekly and one monthly. Maybe.

12. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Vaya con Dios, Damien. I hope our paths continue to cross.

Very best,

R.

13. hartley353

hartley353 Well-Known Member

From Damiens hand in this weeks AP.

14. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Not read the editorial yet, have to wait until Tuesday. :(

But it seems Mr DD has fallen foul of a re-structuring to streamline the costing of magazine running. :(

I have enjoyed the magazine greatly under his guidance.

I hope he can still be involved in the magazine in the future.

I wish him and his family all the best and may his photography continue to inspire us all.

Good luck for your future. :)

15. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

Ditto. Ought there to be an item on this in the News thread?

16. Molendinar

Molendinar Well-Known Member

Yes, my fear too. I flicked through the free issue of WDC, but as I only buy a camera maybe every two or three years, I'm not sure I can see the point of it .. certainly not of subscribing monthly.

I hope AP continues as a separate publication, with its own take on things, and will not just be subsumed into some stable-mate to save money. Oh well, if it changes for the worse, I just stop subscribing or buying it. Time will tell.

All the best to Damien in his future endeavours.

17. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

[TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD]T[SIZE=-1]HEY[/SIZE] told us, Mr Editor, they told us you were dead,
    [/TD]
    [TD="align: right"][SIZE=-2] [/SIZE][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]They brought us bitter news to hear and bitter tears to shed.
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]We wept as I remember'd how often you and we
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Had tired the sun with reading and sent him down the sky.
    [/TD]
    [TD="align: right"][SIZE=-2][/SIZE][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

With Aplolgies to William Corey

18. deanolorenzo

deanolorenzo Well-Known Member

Very best wishes to DD, this is bad news I think. I look forward each week to my copy of AP, it must change now, let us hope not too much. WDC is not my cup of tea I'm affraid.
    Dean.

19. miked

miked Well-Known Member

A fine talent; a very fine editor, and a decent all-rounder. Best wishes, Damien.

20. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

This is very difficult. We don't know if DD has been promoted or made redundant, or simply resigned.
    Best wishes Damien for future endeavors whatever they may be. For what it is worth I think that AP has been pretty good under your editorship.