1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dambusters anniversary flight

Discussion in 'Forthcoming Events' started by Bazarchie, May 10, 2018.

1. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

2. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Would love to see it but as you say, It'll be a bunfight on the roads.

3. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

If only .... go at night and sleep in the car .

4. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

If you're about to set off, you should know that the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight have just announced that the Lancaster can't do the flight because of the current wind conditions - they're sending a Typhoon up from Conningsby instead.

Cheers, Jeff

5. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

6. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

It gets better - the Lancaster flew over the Derwent Valley this morning! It was a day late and completely unannounced, the reasoning behind it was to complete the flight with Squadron Leader George 'Johnny' Johnson MBE, DFM - the last surviving member of the Dambusters Raid - aboard the aircraft. The flight was unannounced because there was no time to put measures in place to cope with the traffic that would have turned up, but the RAF felt that it was more important to mark the event with Squadron Leader Johnson sitting in the bomb aimer's seat on the anniversary of the raid than it was to put on a public show.

Good for them - that's what I say.

Cheers, Jeff

Mark101 likes this.
  7. Bazarchie

I decided not to go in the end which fortunately turned out to be a wise decision. I saw some of the feedback , a lot of frustrated people.

I gather the Lancaster flew over the dam today.

8. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I found out today that the Lancaster flew over Chepstow (3 circuits) a week ago as a blue plaque was being put on a house where one of the crew members had lived. I live about 20 miles away and would have gone there (or nearby) if I had known.

I have seen the aeroplane before, at the RAF's Battle of Britain air display at Biggin Hill in 1968 or 1969, when I was 12 or 13. I was allowed to climb into the fuselage, go up to the cockpit, and sit in one of the pilot's seats, under the very close supervision of one of the pilots. Even then I was nearly six feet tall and found it very cramped inside and suspect that the most of the original aircrew must have been shorter than that. I recall a lady who was about the same age as my mother (40-45 year old) demonstrating her ability to find all the major controls with her eyes closed. The pilot was amazed, and she asked him hours many 'hours' he had on Lancasters. He said 'two or three hundred', and she replied that she had over two thousand, but not since 1945. She had been a delivery pilot, flying new Lancasters from the factory to bases all over the UK and sometimes overseas. They then discussed the longest flights that each had done. I think his reply was two hours/300 miles, and that hers was 'Iceland'. I had to leave then - there was a queue waiting for my seat.

9. Bazarchie

Interesting story. I have seen it once at a Battle of Britain flypast at Goodwood. A Lancaster surrounded by Spitfires, beautiful.

Not sure why they do not do not make their flights public.