1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D850 on the way - Official

Discussion in 'Nikon Chat' started by AndyTake2, Jul 25, 2017.

1. mediaman

mediaman Well-Known Member

And there is myself !

2. Andytw

Andytw Well-Known Member

The Sony A7RII offers full frame 4K video with high sensitivity levels (as does the A7SII).
    The A7RII does this by using a 42 mega pixel BSI sensor and pixel binning when recording full frame video.
    I would expect the D850 to use a similar approach, especially as Nikon doesn't appear to be very interested in competing in the serious video camera market.

3. mediaman

mediaman Well-Known Member

One thing that has not been mentioned is what media storage system will be used. At present, i can use SD on my D800 and D500, Compact flash on the D800, and XQD on the D500. And the fact that XQD seems to be the fastest.... and Lexar stopping production of them, it only leaves [ I think ] Sony as the sole producer of them. hence me wondering WTF will it use ?
    Is there any other company producing XQD ?

4. ChrisNewman

ChrisNewman Well-Known Member

Ah, I see! I always hold the lens with my thumb and forefinger at the mount end, and my wrist towards the front of the lens. So I need to twist in the left-hand thread direction for Nikon, or right-hand for Pentax, whether the camera is pointing towards or away from me.
    I'm aware some systems use a left-hand thread, either to avoid making inappropriate connections, as you describe, or to prevent threads from coming unscrewed. But in Nikon’s case there’s no technical need for its awkward left-hand thread type mount; it’s just arisen through some historic accident, and I find it a nuisance.

Chris

5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I thought that once but, 27 years in, I now find it quite normal.

One thing that the Nikon mount does achieve is that it discourages people from attempting to mount other bayonet lenses than those designed for Nikon.

6. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

But what system does the Apha 9 use? Pixel binning wastes light hence reducing sensitivity and increasing noise.
    The D850 is to be the company's high end high pixel model. Nikon's competitor to the A7 cameras will likely be the upcoming D760.

7. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I would say it's more a matter of what you're used to. I adopted Nikon many years ago and used them exclusively for something like thirty years and then I bought a Canon... lens changing became a much trickier business, not because the Canon mount is in anyway inherently wrong but simply because it took a while to retrain my brain to accept the opposite mount direction.

Of course I then complicated matters by buying a digital Nikon for the purpose of using my manual lenses, the end result being that I occasionally get confused as to which way to turn the lens... That said I still find the Nikon easier to do, old habits die hard I guess...:rolleyes:

mediaman likes this.
  8. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Although I primarily use Nikon I've got a variety of cameras with different lens fittings - despite this, fitting a lens correctly has never given me as much trouble as attaching some bayonet-mount lens hoods!

Cheers, Jeff

IanG1957 and mediaman like this.
  9. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

All my Nikons have had the same lens fit and I think of it as being "natural" and my Panasonic as being "deviant". I guess it is what one is accustomed to.

10. Andytw

Andytw Well-Known Member

The A9 uses the full sensor read out downsized to 4K but it is only 24 mega pixels whereas the D850 is more likely to be in the 40-50 mega pixel range.
    If the D850 has a stacked sensor at 40-50 mega pixels it would still require about double the processing power of the Sony A9 to achieve 4K video with full sensor read out.
    As the Sony A9 already has what is arguably the fastest imaging pipeline in any full frame camera currently on sale, I think it is unlikely that Nikon will be able to double this performance particularly as I have already said they haven't seemed that interested previously in serious video funtions.
    We will find out when the full specifications for the D850 are announced but I would expect its full frame 4K video to use pixel binning or line skipping.

P_Stoddart likes this.
  11. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

I tend to agree with Andytw, the Nikon D850 is aimed at high end shooters who want the print size of MF in a small body. :)

4K is a bonus feature not a main function.

So all the processing engineering will be edged toward still work not video.

12. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

If it meets its specificattion well then it will make the Sony A9 look somewhat expensive.

13. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I have the feeling that Sony are trying to be more of a niche manufacturer with these cameras, not chasing sales at the loss of profit per unit.