1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D850 on the way - Official

Discussion in 'Nikon Chat' started by AndyTake2, Jul 25, 2017.

1. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Nikon have announced the development of the D850. It looks to be pretty well along the way, as there is a promotional video, shot entirely on the D850, which states 'Time Lapse 8K'

http://www.nikon.com/news/2017/0725_dslr_01.htm

Full frame, with lots of bells and whistles

2. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Judging from the some of their recent full frame introductions I wonder what this one will get recalled for?...;):D

3. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Let the frothing commence:rolleyes:.

4. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Great, that may mean I can afford a D800 or D810 in the not too distant future.

5. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Not frothing, but will it replace one of the 15 DSLRs listed on Nikon's UK page, or be added to them?

Mind you, they will still be behind Canon, who have 17 on theirs.

Why so many?

6. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

To appeal to as many potential buyers as possible?

7. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

15/17 flavors of photographer, all with different desires and depth of pocket. In fact I am surprised it is so few. But I will wager that there is a very high degree of commonality at the sub-assembly level

8. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

And a lot of confused people asking, on boards like this, "what camera should I get?", getting loads of questions they can't answer, followed by possibly contradictory answers. I wonder how many think, "sod it, I'll use my smartphone instead", losing the camera companies even more sales.

9. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Given they have skipped product code D820 D830 and D840

I suspect it will be 50MP LOL

Plus Canon have a 50MP in their line up. LOL

If the D850 is only 50MP that is a shame I would have thought they would aim to top Canon say 64MP.

It might be Sony won't play ball and let them have the next gen sensor they most likely have in prototype production

Could be they are saving it for the next Alpha or mirrorless offering they want to sell. LOL

The pixel race is on for full frame cameras so they can eat into the MF market.

Because that is the only way to go for expanded sales. :)

10. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

No, it isn't. Fewer pixels mean faster processing of the images and thus more frames per second. For many, sports, wildlife, etc. photographers frame rate is more important than pixel count, which is why the D5 has a lower count than the D810.

11. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I have a 20MB FF camera and recently I shared a beer with a friend holding a D810 His first comment was "Oh I wish I had bought a Canon like yours the file sizes on mine are far too big.!

Just making the point that a significant portion of us do not want to join the pixel race. (See my comment above about 15/17 flavours of photographer) and this one is quite content with the output from well printed 20MB image

12. P_Stoddart

That is just a matter of solving processing grunt, which is going up all the time with multi-core design systems.

MF does not have high FPS anyway. :)

That is the market under threat from FF sensor with high pixel counts.

Would not be surprised if Nikon have developed a new processing engine for the D850.

The D5 is not designed to attack the MF market, its aimed at action shooters :)

13. P_Stoddart

They are designing the D850 for a part of the market that want to print big and may have only gone for MF cameras.

Just like not all shooters want a dSLR or fancy mirrorless there will be shooters who don't want high MP

If you are a pro who needs more detail in your shots then you will buy the computing power and storage to handle it. If you shoot MF you have the same issues of file size etc in some cases more so. Some MF is 80MP+ :)

Bear in mind Canon already have a FF at 250MP! LOL

Clearly there is a pixel race again at the top end. We got 36MP from Nikon then 50MP from Canon. :)

Also Sony have put their hat in with 42MP LOL

I keep wondering if there will be a point that Sony break with supplying Nikon with sensors.

Sony seem to be serious about trying to build a camera brand with pro.

But its not clear if the sensors that Nikon get are designed by Nikon and just made by Sony production line.

14. P_Stoddart

That is where a magazine like AP come in plus this forum. :)

Most people run around taking shots on their smartphone then find the limit it can do or they decide to get say a bigger print done say A3 or bigger and it does not look as good.

They might have even seen photo exhibitions and seen big sharp wonderful prints. Read the info and it mentions a dSLR brand or mirrorless not a smartphone :p LOL

15. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

It does state that the 850 will be high resolution, high speed.
    Presumably then something between 40 and 60 megapixies, but it will take serious amount of grunt to make this fast. Processing the image, then storing in a buffer is not something that can be done with mediocre processors. I suspect that multiple image processors will be used, and hope that they increase the RAM as well as the speed of the buffer memory to cope with this.
    The big problem is storage - pushing the size of the buffer up is one thing, getting the info on a card is another.

As for development and production of the sensor, Sony recently stated that they will not provide third parties with the latest sensor design. Nikon do their own design and have Sony manufacture it, but it should be remembered that Nikon actually produce fabrication equipment for this sort of stuff, so if Sony got all sniffy, Nikon could tell them to bugger off anyway.

Regarding the number of cameras available, it is utterly stupid. We have two main categories - FF and crop, so multiple cameras in each category is understandable. Putting multiple cameras in each category of each is madness. Nikon really need to concentrate now on mirrorless, because that is the way the wind is blowing, and the only thing I can see holding Sony back is their lack of lenses.

P_Stoddart likes this.
  16. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

Nikon have got it all wrong as well as most of the other DSLR makers, this is 2017.....I am sure these companys should now be concentrating on smaller mirrorless cameras instead of the heavy tank like models they are producing now! What do other people think?

17. PMurrell

PMurrell Well-Known Member

I too am not for the mega mega pixel count as I'm quite content with the 12mp on offer with my D700. Then again, I tried the Xpro2 and was rather impressed. Would be ideal for the stuff I do (mainly street) but will keep my 12pm dslr for people/wedding/low-light stuff.

18. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I think the traditional SLR still has a place but Nikon should have a mirrorless camera equivalent to the D3NNN, D5NNN and D6NN series of cameras but, that would mean a whole new range of lenses to benefit from a slimmer body. I suspect Canon would be in a similar position. To keep faith with the existing customer base would mean a lens mount adaptor to fit the 10s of millions of existing lenses. The alternative would be a completely new lens mount and ditch all the existing lenses and I can't see Nikon doing that. Canon have already done it once when they moved to EOS mount and Pentax did it when moving to the K mount.

19. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Nikon have not got it all wrong to update the D810. There is a market for it. They have the existing camera as a basis. They have the AF system used in the D5 and D500.
    Some people do want more pixels. The pixel quality in the 20Mp and 24Mp DX sensors is good. Using the same pixel size and density on a FX camera suggests that 45 to 54 Mp is reasonable.The D5 processor can process 14 frames per second at 20Mp and so could presumably process 6 frames per second at 45 Mp.
    Nikon's best full frame lenses are sharp enough to support the present DX sensors and I would expect them to support a fifty something Mp FX sensor, albeit with some softening round the edges.

I am not in the market for a D850. The D500 is far more suitable for me, however I do not criticise Nikon for developing the D850; some customers will want it.

I would hope that Nikon is also developing a mirrorless line of cameras but this is a far bigger undertaking than updating the present DSLRs. I would expect a new lens mount to take advantage of a potentially narrower body. If the new lenses are electrically similar to Nikon's newest all electrically controlled DSLR lenses then a converter would be quite simple

20. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

That's exactly what Canon did. They created the EF-M mount and introduced an adapter along with the original EOS M, indeed IIRC they bundled the adapter in with the camera at launch. Of course Canon had it easy as the EF system has always been all electronic and never had any mechanical connections to the body. A Nikon equivalent system , or at least the adapter, would have to cope with at least some of the variants around. AF-s and AF-P lenses shouldn't be an issue and nor should those with the new electronic diaphragm. Manual lenses and the old AFD types stop down anyway when the aperture ring is turned so no problem there and screw drive lens users will just have to live with manual focus. AF-G lenses without the aperture ring could be a problem although mFT adapters with rings for stopping down do exist and there was an adapter to use the G-type 14-24mm zoom on EOS bodies that dis the same.

Exposure control is more likely to be the issue for non electronic lenses as Nikon have never really got to grips with the idea of metering lenses with no electronics other than re-introducing the Ai coupling on higher end cameras. If Canon can make their cameras, even inadvertently, capable of metering with old fashioned mechanical lenses it beats me as to why Nikon can't or won't do the same...:(