1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D850 and Third-Party Batteries

Discussion in 'Nikon Chat' started by IanG1957, Mar 9, 2018.

1. IanG1957

IanG1957 Well-Known Member

We now know that the D500 has a 'need' for genuine Nikon EN-EL15/a batteries and that using third-party 'equivalents' can be problematic with batteries showing 'empty' when fully charged etc.

I'm wondering if this has carried over to the D850 - has anyone any information about this please?
  2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I don't "know" but if the camera gives a countdown of charge used (e.g 72% available) rather than a simple indicator (full, 3/4, 1/2, 1/4,0) it almost certainly needs the real thing.
    IanG1957 likes this.
  3. IanG1957

Thank you - but I have no idea.

Haven't got one....yet....:cool:
  4. PeteRob

You can always download and read the manual!
  5. IanG1957

I have - but there was no indication of this potential problem with the D500 in the manual for that one either - camera manufacturers ALWAYS state "use only our batteries or we'll come and beat you" (well, ok, something along these lines at least...) so I can't imagine the D850 manual is any different.

As it is, I've read the relavent parts and nothing is indicated - which is why I'm asking the question here - perhaps one of the lucky few reads the AP forum and would be able to answer...
  6. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Why spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar?
  7. IanG1957

I'm sorry, what?

Ah ok, now the mist is clearing.

I looked up this saying in "Ian's Big Book of Important Sounding Phrases to Impress People" and didn't find it - however I did find

"don't spoil the ship for a ha'p'orth of tar"

which I suppose is fairly similar :D

So why can't I use 'reasonably' priced batteries in any of my cameras? Am I supposed to buy Nikon lens cloths to clean the lenses?

If your car were designed to run on RENAULT fuel only, wouldn't you feel it just slightly restrictive? (And stupid) (This in itself is ridiculous - who in their right minds would buy a Renault?)

Just my 2 cents...
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  8. PeteRob

If you really don't want to use Nikon batteries you'll have to ask a good manufacturer like Hahnel - they do an EL15 but don't mention the 850. https://www.premier-ink.co.uk/batte...e-d810-d7000-d7100-high-capacity-ext2016.html

I've bought one spare Canon battery (chipped) for my 5Ds and one spare Hahnel for my Fuji which eats batteries.

I'd be very wary about where I buy batteries from. There are a lot of fakes about.
    IanG1957 likes this.
  9. IanG1957

I couldn't agree more.

As to the fact that the D850 isn't mentioned I think probably comes down to the fact that the add dates a little...no real need to change it as the basic camera list is correct.

With regard to not wanting to use Nikon batteries, this, for me at least, is not the case - if I was rich I'd be buying them without hesitation - I simply want to have a couple of 'extras' in case I need them.
  10. cliveva

cliveva Well-Known Member

Just to interject, using a D800, I have never run out of power, the D850 has even more stamina, you are likely to run out of memory cards.
  11. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Nikon has form. I'm not even suggesting that firmware updates are targetted at non-Nikon accessories however I don't think that they go out of their way to avoid problems.
    If I was spending three and a half thousand quid on a camera (I haven't. I got two cameras for about that) then why worry about saving a hundred quid by buying a couple of dodgy batteries?
  12. Essexjohn

Essexjohn New Member

You could buy one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-EN-E...fffbd316|iid:1&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236

I was doubtful but it is genuine, for less than £23
    IanG1957 likes this.
  13. IanG1957

Thanks for that - but as to being genuine, yes...and no.

I bought one of these cheap 'Nikon' EN-EL15 batteries a couple of years ago - it worked perfectly, and when Nikon announced that they would replace all the EN-EL15 batteries for free (for D500 owners) I sent the whole lot off and waited.

I received a replacement for every one except the cheap one, even though I was fairly confident it was real. Nikons answer was that it wasn't a genuine battery and that they (obviously) weren't going to replace it. Faire enough.

So, yes - it comes with all the correct packaging, terminal cover, HUGE instruction leaflet and box etc. But at that price, it just ain't real!

Going back to my original question...I still don't have any feedback, sadly.