1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D7500

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by Bill Stewardson, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Hello to all.

I’m looking to step up my camera,,, currently considering the D7500.

With a view to snapping the wildlife round here and sunrises and sunsets.

Quick auto focus and usable ISO being the key things.

Anyone any thoughts please ?

Thanks.

2. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I used a D7100 before moving to D500. The D7100 was pretty good but I like new toys. You might like to look at http://dslrbodies.com/cameras/current-nikon-dslr-reviews/nikon-d7500-camera-review.html . Thom often has a moan about Nikon, but he is not moaning here. Sorry that I cannot comment on the D7500 from personal experience, but I would trust Thom on this. He is not a Nikon ambassador paid to say nice things. If a D500 is too expensive then I would expect that this is near enough.

3. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Do you have lots of failed shots because of autofocus and ISO issues?

If not - then it might not help as much as you hope.

Any consumer DSLR body can photograph wildlife and sunsets.

If you want to buy a new camera because you want a new camera then don't let me stop you (I did), but just be cautious if you think a body upgrade is going to have a significant impact on shots in normal situations, it might not pan out. Up to a point, better lenses give better improvements than better bodies.

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

AF performance depends on the combination of camera and lens. While there are cameras that are optimised for sport and wildlife work they work best with the lenses also optimised for focus speed and optical performance, especially at full aperture. I don't know the Nikon line-up so I can't say what the bodies/lenses are like but I agree with Tony that if you want to improve AF response time you need to find which is limiting (body/lens) in your current set up.

5. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Is this connected to your previous post about your D3400? If so I'm not convinced that changing the body will make that much of a difference. I suspect that you'd see a much greater improvement in IQ by changing the lenses rather than the camera. Unless your D3400 is actually faulty it's perfectly capable of turning out a decent shot.

Equally you can spend as much as you like on a camera but if you don't get to know it's capabilities and limits you will never get the best from it.

6. dom71

dom71 Member

I've just switched from a D3400 to a D7500. It's very evident that it's a significantly more capable camera - but, equally, has really highlighted the shortcomings of some of my lenses. It's also evident that my photographic skills are no better. If anything, I've now got to learn my way around a more complex camera, as well as honing my skills.

The D7500 is great and I particularly love being able to adjust ISO, aperture and shutter speed all at my fingertips - but, with the benefit of hindsight, I probably should have spent longer using the D3400 and really learning how to post process before taking a step up.

EightBitTony likes this.
  7. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

This is similar to my experience with the autofocus system on the Canon 7D2. It's very complex. I didn't spend enough time getting used to, and exploiting the simpler system on my Canon 600D so when I upgraded, I was overwhelmed and had to spent a lot of time backtracking.

8. Many thanks for all of the above. I definitely take the point re lenses. The kit lens with the D3400 really is not the best. I now have a D7500 and it is awesome. The kit lens is MILES better. If nothing else I am now confident in my kit. The options on the bigger toy make it well worth buying.

Many thanks to all for the sound advice.