1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D5300...anyone use with iPad via wi-fi?

Discussion in 'Nikon Chat' started by Lins16, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Lins16

Lins16 New Member

Hi all, I am new to the forum and new to Nikon- just purchased my first DSLR, having spent the last 2 years getting to know my Panasonic compact inside-out and taking a photography evening class :) (and at least 8 months deciding what DSLR to get!)

It’s exciting owning a new camera but the downside is- I don’t know what I’m doing anymore!

I’m having a frustrating time at the moment. I bought the camera with the intention of later buying a new laptop for working on the photos. In the meantime I’d planned to use my iPad which has served me well with the compact over the years.

So- having installed the Nikon ‘wireless mobile utility’ app on the iPad in order to use the wi-fi function on the camera, I have come to the conclusion that this app is basically useless! Unless I am missing something? If you view your photos through the app (to decide which ones you want to download), you cannot view them at full resolution. They all look awful. If you try to download multiple images it downsizes them so much that they don’t even appear to be in focus anymore. If you select to download one image only, it does give you the option to select ‘original size’ (took me ages to figure this out!). However once the image is on the iPad, it is still only 2.2MB and just doesn’t look as good as I’d expected (although better than the more downsized version). According to my research, photos taken at jpeg Fine (and size L) should be around 10MB. Is this why the downloaded images still don’t look as good as they do on the camera screen? I am wondering if this is a limitation on the iPad- it’s a fairly old model.

I realise I need to get a laptop especially if I want to move into the realms of Lightroom etc. but if anyone has any ideas to help me in the short-term I would really appreciate suggestions. It’s frustrating taking photos which appear to be in focus at the point of shooting, and look good on the camera playback screen, but are disappointing when viewed on the iPad.

many thanks in advance

Lin

2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Where to start? The Nikon Wireless Mobile Utility seems to work well enough with my iPhone and Nikon 1V5 but when I take a photograph using the app it appears as if it was taken on the phone, likewise on my iPad and the image size is given as the iPad screen resolution, 1616 x 1080. When downloading an image from the camera, and selecting "Original" the image size is 5568 x 3712 but it doesn't look very good in WMU. However, looking at the image in the Apple Photos app it is absolutely fine. I would therefore suggest that after downloading as Original you close WMU and use Photos as the viewer.

3. Lins16

Lins16 New Member

Thank you Geoff. To clarify, yes I'm viewing in Photos. The images don't look quite as bad/blurry as in WMU, but they are not clear and crisp like on the camera. If I am choosing 'original size' in WMU would you expect the photo saved in Photos to be the same size as on the camera, i,e 10MB? Or is this not relevant?

4. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

What is more important is the size of the image, touch the letter i in the bottom right hand corner of the display, it should then show the image size in pixels something like 6000 x 4000.

You should be aware that the screen on the back of the camera is actually a fairly poor representation unless you zoom in. What may look sharp on the screen with the whole image displayed may not actually be sharp when viewed at 100% on a larger screen.

You are more likely to get really sharp images if you use the camera's viewfinder. Holding an SLR at arms length to use the screen on the back will not help with achieving truly sharp pictures.

5. Lins16

Lins16 New Member

Thanks again Geoff... I don't recall seeing a letter i in the corner but I will have a look.

I'm laughing at the thought of me holding the camera at arm's length, I'd probably tip over! I always use the viewfinder (my compact has one so it's second nature) and all the tricks I know of to keep everything steady short of using a tripod...
    Perhaps I'm expecting too much of a difference between the compact and DSLR or, more likely my technique is lacking...thanks again for your advice :)

6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

You'd be surprised how many people do it.

7. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Yup. I was recently at a concert and one of the photographers in the reserved area at the front of the stage was using a Nikon D7xxx, one-handed and held out at arm's length - I could see it waving about as he was taking pictures. To make matters worse he was using the other hand to shade his eyes from the sun while wearing a baseball cap backwards.

Cheers, Jeff

Lins16 likes this.
  8. Lins16

Lins16 New Member

wow, sounds dangerous!! I looked at the D7200 before making my choice and could barely pick it up with 2 hands- one of the reasons for going for my final choice (I have stupidly, inconveniently small hands!!)