1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D5300 and Sigma lenses....Arrgh!

Discussion in 'Nikon Chat' started by AndyTake2, Feb 2, 2019.

1. ChrisNewman

ChrisNewman Well-Known Member

I must have been lucky; my lenses that needed the firmware update were several years old, long out of warranty. Their response to me last April read:

Sorry to hear you have an issue with your Sigma lens.

Please bring the lenses to us and we will update them free of charge whilst you wait. We are open from 9am to 4.30pm Monday to Friday. It should only take about 10 minutes to do the update.

Chris

2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I suspect they are getting increasing numbers of lenses in need of firmware updates and the cost is beginning to affect their operation. As has already been suggested the problem is likely to escalate as lens mounts/interfaces become more complex.

3. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Yes, I am inclined to agree with you.
    I don't think I will be purchasing any more Sigma lenses.

4. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Emailed them to ask about turnaround time for updates. Got told it would be a week.
    Took them down there today, took 20 minutes, and no charge:)

Couple of issues - the 180mm macro couldn't be updated, neither could the 35-70mm. They did offer to sell me a replacement for the 180 at a discount, which was good of them, but I am skint.
    The 35-70 is a different issue. how the hell I missed that it wasn't a HSM lens when I bought it is beyond me. It was the right weight for my wife to use on the D700, but we had D60s as well, but she must have only used it on the 700. I had made a point of only buying HSM lenses because of compatibility, but had a brain fart when I got this one.

5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Great result!

Shame about that, they did actually offer me a replacement 28-70 at a discount but by then I had already decided on a Nikon lens.

I can't think how you could have missed that either.

6. ChrisNewman

ChrisNewman Well-Known Member

Looks like I was lucky in getting a helpful initial response rather than in getting special treatment!
    I feel for you there. When I dropped my camera bag and Intro2020 told me my Tamron 24-70mm wasn’t repairable, they offered me a replacement for £500. At the time I’d only seen loss-of-contact problems with my D800 on that lens, so I spurned their offer, and paid 3½ times as much for the Nikkor 24-70mm VR, only to eperience the same the loss-of-contact issue on that lens (which is bulkier, and with worse chromatic aberration, but better image stabilization, and hopefully more robust). A very costly way to improve my understanding of the problem, but fortunately not a make-or-break waste of money for me.

Chris