1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D5000 won't record a movie

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by ian sutherland, Sep 21, 2017.

1. I've tried everything in the manual... Select LV mode, press the sutter button 1/2 way down, press the OK button but nothing happens. I must be missing something basic. Thanks

RogerMac likes this.
  2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

If it has a video mode you need to turn it on. Live view is something different.

3. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Do you not get a REC message in the top left corner and a time elapsed box top right? Do you get a REC symbol with a diagonal line through it?

What mode are you in? Unfortunately my camera is at home and I'm not so I can't check but I believe from reading the manual that video only operates in the PASM modes. If you are in full auto (the green camera symbol), SCENE or any mode other than PASM it's probable that video is not available.

4. Hi El_Sid: I don't get any REC messages or time elapsed. I've tried all PASM modes (Program, Aperture Priority, Speed Priority or Manual) and still nothing. There isn't a specific video mode on the top dial. Thanks

5. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

The only two other things I can think of are to check that you're either in 'A' or 'M' mode and make sure, in the settings menu, that you're set record movies at 24 fps - the way you're trying to record movies should work as long as these other two things are set correctly!

Cheers, Jeff

6. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

A thought occurs to me... Are you still holding the shutter button down when you press the OK button? The D5000 doesn't allow continuous AF in live view mode so it's possible that if the shutter button is still half depressed the camera thinks it's still trying to focus and won't initiate recording until the button is released. Try a test making sure that you have released the shutter button before you press OK.

One more off-the-wall thought... You haven't used a custom setting to assign AF to the AE/AF lock button have you? If you have then you would probably need to use that, not the shutter button, to activate the AF in live view/video mode.

And one more really basic possibility... You have actually got the lens set to AF and not manual haven't you? I know it sounds a silly question but you'd be amazed how often I find the AF button has accidentally slipped to M when it's been put in the bag. I'm not sure that that would necessarily stop the camera recording but it is a possibility that recording won't start if the camera hasn't or can't focus.

7. Well I have made some progress but still no video recording.

I didn't have the live view display set to show all the shooting info so now I have, there is a REC symbol with a line through it, like you asked before. This implies that something is wrong to allow videos to be recorded ? Also I now have the video time display.

I haven't assigned the AE/AF lock button and the lens is set to AF, not manual

I was still holding the shutter button down 1/2 way and pressing OK, so I did what you said, press it 1/2 way, release it, press OK but still nothing.

I need to get the bottom of the REC with a line through.

8. PeteRob

9. PeteRob

Last guess. Got enough room on the memory card ? Beyond that - if you have followed p50 - it is a mystery.

10. Loads of room on card :(:(:(

11. PeteRob

The only thing the manual says is "Shooting can not begin until the camera has focused" - maybe you have to hit the OK button while focus confirm is active.

12. I can press OK either while or after focus is being achieved it makes no difference. I think the main issue stems from the REC caption with a diagonal line through it intimating that something is wrong and stopping recording to work. ... Its driving me mad!!!

13. Hi PeteRob: I've fixed it !!! with a prompt from another user on a different forum who suggested maybe the memory card I was using wasn't fast enough

The memory card I was using is 80 MB/s and has a "10" in a circle so its plenty fast enough. However the capacity is 128 GB. Now I tried 2 other cards which are slower "4" in a circle, one is 8GB and the other 16GB and they both allow video recording fine. So ... could it be that the camera doesn't like high capacity 128GB card and prefers smaller cards. The manual mentions 32GB cards so I'll get a couple of those.

Thanks again

14. Ive fixed it with a prompt from others about memory card speed not being fast enough

The card I was using is 80 MB/s and has a "10" in a circle so its plenty fast enough. However the capacity is 128 GB. Now I tried 2 other cards which are slower "4" in a circle, one is 8GB and the other 16GB and they both allow video recording fine. So ... could it be that the camera doesn't like high capacity 128GB card and prefers smaller cards. The manual mentions 32GB cards so I'll get a couple of those.

Thanks again

15. PeteRob

I'm surprised it worked at all. The specifications are there for a reason :). Memory card size expands faster than cameras can cope with.

16. I never read the specs in the manual until now, just bought the bigest card I could afford and assumed it would work fine. Remember blokes don't read instructions until things go wrong ;)

17. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

If even then - they'd rather ask on a forum to sort it out. :rolleyes:;)

(sorry ;))

18. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

D5000 can only use SDHC cards not SDXC

19. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

And if that doesn't work, they just use a bigger hammer! :eek:

;)