1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D5000 flash stopped flashing, ideas?

Discussion in 'Nikon Chat' started by attack_donut, Mar 9, 2012.

1. attack_donut

attack_donut Well-Known Member

I have a friend who uses a d5000 and built-in flash, it stopped flashing the other day, though it will still pop up.
    is this common with the d5000 series? I (sort of) knew it was common on the old d40 line.

Is the bulb likely bad, or is it something else that goes instead?
  2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

As someone who isn't a fan of built-in flash guns I would call that a blessing.

Sensibly, I haven't heard anything about D5000 flash problems but I am sure there is a fix for it.
  3. hech54

hech54 Well-Known Member

I've never heard of any problems with and Nikon pop-up flashes. Tell him/her to check the manual and look for a way to completely RESET the camera back to factory setting/specs.
  4. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

... and if that doesn't work, call Nikon's repair centre in Kingston-upon-Thames for assistance and an idea of repair price
  5. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

From previous posts on other topics, I think our OP is from the US, so would need Nikon USA?
  6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Indeed, Nikon USA are in Melville NY
  7. Bob Maddison

Bob Maddison Well-Known Member

With any 'pop up' flash, there is a switch that turns it on as it pops up. This is a potential weak link. The mechanical link between the flash head and the camera body where hte switch is located as well as the switch contacts are vulnerable. It shouldn't cost too much to replace. However, with such switches, it is sometimes possible to get it working again simply by operating it repeatedly i.e. by raising and lowering the flash, checking regularly that if it is working.

Another possibility, admittedly a remote possibility, is that the battery is low. The flash draws a high current initially. It is just about possible that the battery is able to operate the camera but can't cope with the flash. Try recharging the battery or even borrow one: costs nothing and might just work!
  8. attack_donut

attack_donut Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info gang, she has sent it in to Nikon for repair. The cost is equal to a good SB-600 which she should have (IMO) gotten instead, but so it goes.