1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D3300 - bit of a result

Discussion in 'Nikon Chat' started by IvorETower, Jul 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Just before Easter this year I donated my old, back-up D40 and kit lens (and a little-used Sigma 70-300 non-OS telephoto) to a much younger relative who needed it to start a photography course.
    Missing it, I recently thought I'd buy a used D3300 and ended up getting the cheapest one I could find off one of the popular second-hand dealers who advertise extensively on the internet. I think it had done about 17,000 actuations and was marked down as having a bit of debris visible in the viewfinder but that this did not affect images..... for £168 with warrranty, charger, battery, strap, original box.
    It duly arrived a few weeks ago and looked almost immaculate. Looking through the viewfinder, two small black marks were indeed visible but theyy were so inconsequential that they didn'y worry mne at all, even though they would not move when a rocket blower was inserted into the mirror box and puffed a few times.
    Last week I noticed what looked like a spring wire clip holding the focus screen in place.
    This evening it's taken me less than 5 minutes with a set of jewellers screwdrivers to prize this free, drop the focusing screen and puff a few times with the rocket blower again, then carefully reposition the focusing screen and re-clip the retaining spring into place.

Hey presto, all traces of the debris have gone! A little surprised that the second-hand place hadn't tried this as prices for identical cameras without this "added feature" are around the £230 mark. Am currently feeling very pleased with myself. I think I got a bit of a bargain :)

EightBitTony and Craig20264 like this.
  2. Nikon_Peter

Nikon_Peter Well-Known Member

Hi IvorETower good job on removing the debris. I too have the D3300 which I bought around the time the 'upgraded' D3400 came out but as they were essentially the same, the few additions to the 3400 were of no interest to me, the price was lower so I stuck with the 3300. Brilliant camera.
    The 2nd hand place would that be MPB.com? I've been looking at getting a longer lens form wildlife photography and was thinking possibly 2nd hand. If it was MPB may I enquire about how you found their service?

3. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

I honestly can't remember if it was MPB or not ! However I've just bought another used Nikon, a grey D5300, from MPB and cannot fault their service. Parcel was delivered to my workplace on the day after buying, as promised. (They do not insist on delivery to same address as credit card is registered). Following e-mail confirmation of sale, I was sent a link to the courier's website and I received a message giving the one-hour delivery window on the morning of delivery. Camera was advertised with similar issue, bit of debris visible in viewfinder, but this time it came out without needing to drop the focus screen. There were also "a few" chips/marks to the grey finish, but it appears that these may have been white paint splashes as they came off with a bit of cleaning fluid and some gentle persuasion from one of my finger nails! This was not in an original box but was well protected by bubble=wrap and "air bags" lining the box. I think it's time I started looking for some used, fast lenses .... i could really do with a 70-200 f/2.8 and they seem much better value when purchase used !