1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D. Accessory - Manfrotto Xume magnetic filter holder

Discussion in 'User Reviews' started by IanG1957, Apr 5, 2018.

1. IanG1957

IanG1957 Well-Known Member

At first, this seemed like a brilliant idea - equip each of your 'go to' filters (Polariser, ND etc.) with a magnetised ring for really easy filter changing.

So I ordered a ring to screw onto the lens (33,95€), a couple of rings for the filters (13,95€ each), and even a lens cap (12,90€).

Although the lens ring is extremely thin, added to the thickness of the filter ring and the filter itself, and there's a sizeable extra collar on the front of your lens - if, like me, you like extreme wide-angle lens, you cannot escape vignetting (16-35 Nikkor)

Obviously this doesn't make the system unusable, but it does limit itself (for my personal use) to longer focal lengths.

The lens cap is the trap - it only actually works in direct contact with the lens ring - so if you have a filter in place, it won't 'stick'. This means that if you want to use the Xume lens cap, you have to leave the filter off...

So, if you have a tendancy to change filters (a lot) on anything other than extreme wide-angle lenses, this is quite a good idea. (Even if, I find the lens rings PARTICULARLY expensive...)

peterba likes this.
  2. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Thanks for this, Ian - that system could be of some interest to me. I don't have need to change filters very often, but rather, to remove an ND filter assembly, to allow to composition and focus, and then replace the filter assembly - all as quickly and easily as possible. As things stand, this involves the tedious business of unscrewing/replacing the filter assembly - not to mention the number of times that I have nearly (and occasionally, have :rolleyes:) dropped the filter assembly whilst trying to engage the thread.

Since you own this system, do you perceive any real advantage for the use I have described? BTW, I don't use extreme wide-angle lenses (widest = 21mm), and vignetting is no great concern to me anyway. TIA. :)

3. IanG1957

Frankly this system is ideal for what you want to do - and was the principle reason why I 'invested' in it in the first place :)

One nice aspect of the magnetized rings is that there's far less risk of moving the camera when changing filters, and of course, less fingerprints all over the filter surface!

peterba likes this.
  4. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Yes, I forgot to mention this in my post, but it's another 'nuisance factor' of the screw-in system. I'm surprised that a filter ring manufacturer hasn't produced some kind of a screw-in adapter, to convert the filter mount system into a quick-release/mount bayonet mount, à la Hasselblad.

Many thanks for the reply.

5. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Or even a little hinge on one side as old Voigtlanders?

I might even have a bash at that.

S

peterba likes this.
  6. IanG1957

To take this to it's (illogical) conclusion, what about one of these?

holga.jpg

peterba likes this.
  7. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

The first version of the 17mm Tamron SP has 3 built in filters. They're selected by the ring at the front of the lens. I think there were 1 or 2 other lenses with that facility as well but can't recall them at the moment.

Sony A65 8GB UnNumbered DSC00387.JPG

peterba likes this.
  8. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I tend to leave a protection filter in place on more vlnerable lenses, I rarely use polarisers as I often do stitched pans.
    And I never use Nd filter or colour filters, so the number of times That I need to remove or change a filter is minimal.
    I am more likely to do an exposure fusion of some kind than use a graduated filter.

9. Terrywoodenpic

The first camera with a set of built in filter was the ultra expensive and miniature Compas camera. Made by leCoultre and a bargain at $3000.

10. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

How does that work then? Some kind of interference that produces a stronger or weaker effect as the angle changes?

11. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I've got a 1962 Mamiya 16 EE Deluxe that has a built-in 2 stop ND filter, although the way it works isn't particularly clever - it just slides in front of the lens from one side!

Cheers, Jeff

12. Andrew Flannigan

Much simpler than that. If you look through the lens as you turn the ring you can see a circular carrier sliding each filter into position.

13. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Ok - I can't just visualise it - was thinking that the filter had to cover more or less the area of the first element because of the dial position. It must be much smaller

14. Andrew Flannigan

It is. It looks like the filter holder is at the nodal point so the filters can be very small.

15. Terrywoodenpic

probably not at either of the nodal points, one at least is likely to be outside the lens. but the filter would be put at the entry pupil.

https://spie.org/publications/fg01_p11_nodal_points?SSO=1

16. Andrew Flannigan

That isn't quite what's happening. The hard edge is the aperture (which is at the entry pupil) and the fuzzy image is the filter holder. It looks to be about 5-10mm ahead of the aperture which is why I guessed it was the inner nodal point. I could be wrong of course.

Canon Eos 5D_one 8GB 08 IMG_3797.JPG

Terrywoodenpic likes this.
  17. Terrywoodenpic

the shutter blades if used and aperture are usually placed as close as possible to the entrance pupil. the filter holder like them is probably place between the two main sets of elements. along with the diaphragm.