1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cyberlink PowerDirector or Pinnacle Studio HD. which one please?

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by Louise, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Louise

Louise Well-Known Member

I am looking to upgrade my movie editing sofyware as I have recently bought a Sony HD camcorder but I don't know whether to go for Cyberlink PowerDirector or Pinnacle Studio. I have Cyberlink PowerDirector version 8 which has been ok apart from the occasional crash etc. I also notice the pictures on the editing screen seem a bit blotchy. :confused:

What editing programme's is better please? And has anyone had experience of these? Many thanks.

2. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Re: Cyberlink PowerDirector or Pinnacle Studio HD. which one ple

no idea which one is better but you will need a lot of ram to deal with HD movies.
    I run an ancient XP powered laptop and there's no way I'll ever be able to edit never mind watch HD as nature intended. Even my desktop running Vista but only capable of 2gb ram struggles.

3. Louise

Louise Well-Known Member

Apperently I have the option to turn the HD off and film in standard, so that's what I will do I think.

4. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

WLMM

I use Windows Live Movie Maker and use HD video on a Panasonic camcorder. It's FREE and has easy drop and drag stills or videos. Can even make a movie for you. Just point it to a folder with your latest pics and video in and it will sort it for you - simples! ;)

Clicky

If you need an XP version Clicky

5. Louise

Louise Well-Known Member

I think I tried windows movie makers before and it played up. But I will keep and try this version thanks very much :)

6. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

I'm an Adobe Premiere Pro/After Effects/Encore user so my experience is probably not very helpful. But, on that basis, I'd recommend looking at Adobe Premiere Elements if WLMM isn't up to the mark.

Sony also do their own software, Vegas, which I've heard users praise.

As has been said, the various system requirements, system config, and file types can make a big difference in one usage experience of any application, total compatibility is the key for successful editing sessions I think.

7. Louise

Louise Well-Known Member

I use Cyberlink but the pictures appear too blotchy, is there free trials of both these programmes please?

8. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

There's a 30 day trial of the Adobe, whole bunch of variants of Vegas, you'd have to Google and see what's what.

9. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

WLMM settings!

Yes there was a problem. Used to crash sometimes :mad:

Open up program. Goto PROJECT MENU and click WIDESCREEN and all should be well ;)

I was using Widescreen on my camcorder but had not setup WLMM to treat it as widescreen.

I still had 4.3 set like TV.

Note: This is Windows LIVE Movie Maker - NOT Windows Movie Maker I'm using...

10. Louise

Louise Well-Known Member

I am now looking at Pinnacle Studio HD Ultimate v15, Upgrade Edition*(is this the best version for standard and eventual HD?) Looking at U Tube it looke's ok. Do you know where I can find the free trial version for this please?

11. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Have you tried googling it-"Pinnacle Studio HD Ultimate v15, Upgrade Edition trial version"?

12. Louise

Louise Well-Known Member

13. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

The link does say Pinnacle Studio HD and when you click on the try button it states version 15...so it appears to be just what you want:):)

14. Louise

Louise Well-Known Member

Would you say Pinnacle Studio HD Ultimate v15, Upgrade Edition*is very good?

15. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

To be honest I don't really know. I've never done a lot of video editing. Best thing to do is try it out, bearing in mind any limitations your computer may have with regard to operating system and RAM etc.
    Actually I did have a Pinnacle movie editor some years ago on an old Windows 98 machine that worked quite well but it was some time ago...

16. Louise

Louise Well-Known Member

Think I will try the trial :)