1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CS5 on iMac running 64bit

Discussion in 'Digital Image Editing & Printing' started by cliveva, Jun 18, 2019.

1. cliveva

cliveva Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    I upgraded my computer from an MacBook Pro to I-Mac but cs5 crashes when doing pans. Adobe support is poor, so does anyone know a patch to get it to work on a 64bit Mac

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

No sorry. Apple is moving to support only 64 bit applications. Likely next OS release will be the one that does it. I haven't installed Mojave yet for that reason.

3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Mojave supports 32 bit applications but does warn that they aren’t optimised. My problem application is MS Office because I am not happy with the subscription model but I need multiple copies. I suspect there will be other image editing software that won’t be supported too. Looks like a case of needing 64 bit software before the next Mac OS release or stay with Mojave until you are ready to upgrade the applications.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Yes my worry is my monitor calibration software. I'm stuck in an old version because NEC changed their API and old monitors (I have a P221W) are haven't been supported for three years or so. Sierra was the last update. I'll probbably go

You do need a separate licence for mac if you use Office 365 across platforms. I had to uninstall it. Nuisance as I haven't room on the desk for two monitors for my PC as well as for the mac, and it was useful sometimes to "borrow" the NEC without rewiring it.

5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I use Office 2008 for which I have 6 licenses (bought as two 3 license packs) I use five of them, all on Macs. If you have a 365 subscription you can use Office on any type of computer, Mac or PC, up to 5 users. I am unsure as to how many devices. My "problem" is that I don't want a subscription, which is probably why cliveva is still running CS5.

6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

What OS was the MacBookPro running?

7. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

I had similar problems but not with pans - if I attempted to print, PS closed down, with no error messages. But every time I manually closed it, it said it had quit unexpectedly!

This is from: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/64-bit-os-benefits-limitations.html
    "Open 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Photoshop CS5 on Mac OS
    Photoshop CS5 on Mac OS installs one copy of the application, and it launches by default in 64-bit mode. You can run Photoshop CS5 in 32-bit mode."

I've just reinstalled CS5, and also the Adobe 12.0.4 update from:
    https://supportdownloads.adobe.com/detail.jsp?ftpID=4972

Before running the update, CS5 crashed at startup. After the update, it loads and from a quick test it appears to be okay. At least clicking Print hasn't crashed it, although I still get the 'quit unexpectedly' message.

Running the updater wasn't straightforward - see https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2552114 - you have to scroll down to near the bottom, or just search for 'Correct Answer'.

I don't know if this helps.

cliveva likes this.
  8. cliveva

Hi, mountain lion, yes well it worked for PS, not now for the net.

9. cliveva

Hi thanks for that, in the Peak District at moment on holiday, so will try the links on my return, I have taken a panorama and will need to stitch it !!!

10. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

OK, thanks, I'm not sure but I think Mountain Lion was a 64 bit OS. I never used Lion or Mountain Lion I went from Snow Leopard to Mavericks.

11. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

Good luck!

12. cliveva

Wrong cat, it was the leopard!!! Old age gets us all!

13. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

I was just about to recommend the free ' Image Composite Editor' as easily the best panorama stitching software out of the half-dozen I have used, when I remembered it was developed by Microsoft Labs, so is never going to run on Apple.

The nearest I get to anything Apple is putting iScubes in my G&T of an evening!

14. cliveva

Hi, after an hour or so reading the links, enabling PS control of the computer has fixed things, pans are now done quickly and fills work at speed. Still a crash message on closing, but I can live with that.
    Very many thanks
    Clive

Alex1994 likes this.
  15. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Glad you have fixed it. Not that that changes my attitude to Adobe Photoshop, it is still massively over specified for what I need.

16. cliveva

Hi, until I had a try with the free 10 day trails of other software, did I realise how much PS could do. I do admit to taking seven years or so to be competent and much more to learn, but is that not the enjoyment of photography, always something to learn?
    All the best
    Clive