1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Creative Cloud/Lightroom CC confusion :-s

Discussion in 'Digital Image Editing & Printing' started by Dazzathedrummer, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Hi,
    I've been using Creative Cloud for around a year now. I store my photos on my MacBook Pro HDD and I have a folder that is sub-divided by Year/Month/Project that syncs with Creative Cloud...I'm very happy with this!

Since Lightroom became Lightroom CC I've carried on with 'classic' but I'm drawn to 'CC' because of all the benefits...for one thing, I wouldn't have to take my MacBook to work to edit photos at lunchtime.

I'm just a bit confused about the file storage for 'CC' - what's the best way to handle files?...do I carry on importing from my camera to my Creative Cloud folder and then add 'albums' to 'CC'?....isn't this duplication?....will this double my Creative Cloud usage?
    Does it work backwards? ...if I edit in 'CC' can I pickup the edited file in 'classic' or will have to start again with the original?

The one time that I used 'CC' I happened to be in an area of my house where the Wifi isn't great and 'CC' wouldn't open at all - I can see this being a huge problem...'edit anywhere as long as you've got internet coverage'.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I have the impression that Lightroom CC is designed to host everything in "the cloud" for which you pay storage rental. Further, that it is aimed mainly to catch the market that use phones and tablets for their photography and as such is less featured than the "classic" version which in turn is more featured than 6.14 - the current standalone version.

3. dan marchant

dan marchant Well-Known Member

Doesn't sound like you really need CC.
    Lightroom Classic still has the ability to share images over the net using smart previews. That would allow you to keep your files locally on your HD but edit chosen image while at work.

4. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

They appear to be adding features are a fair rate though, I had assumed it was so that they could demise the Classic version at some point. But then they announced some significant performance changes in Classic, which suggests they're still investing heavily in it, so maybe I'm wrong. I guess over time those lines will just get more and more blurred.

5. PeteRob

I guess so. I have been playing with OnOne photo raw which serves to convince me that I really don't need photoshop as much as it shows me that LR 6.14 is the better product for my raw processing needs. I get the impression that LR classic and 6.14 continue to diverge. I haven't been following CC. I'll see issues when I need to change cameras - so that's probably 8- 10 years off - or when I need to change computer which might be sooner (I have a late 2012 imac).

6. PeteRob

I just looked at my Flickr settings - under my billing details it lists some "offers" and one of these says 15% off creative cloud. No other information (T&C etc.) and I don't recall it being advertised. The button says "redeem" so it sounds like a "cash-back" or credit. So any Flickr Pro members using creative cloud might be missing a trick! I'm on a 2 year Flickr Pro auto renew subscription and haven't looked at this page since at least 2016.