1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Creating "Cinema Stills" in camera

Discussion in 'Colour or Not' started by pixelpuffin, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

This is a street picture...

Canon Eos 5D_one 8GB 08 IMG_3401.JPG

:D :D :D :D :D

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I don't know where you'd get a copy. It depends if it supports your camera and how it talks to Adobe - often the software reports back to verify the registration. I think it can have 2 installs - on a main computer and on a portable. If you are going to get it I would go for the latest. I'm on standalone version 6.10 for Mac. I've used it since V3 and after the first "buy" the upgrade pricing has been reasonable - but there is no guarantee that Adobe will offer v7 as standalone.

3. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

Cheers for the reply
    The reference to LR was because I'm finally interested in having a go at RAW....baby steps please!
    I know I won't entertain a monthly plan - I'd sooner just buy and have done.

Any suggestions - obviously I still intend to dabble in the cinema look too infact shoot raw and process for cinema.

4. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Why? Just out of interest.

Can't remember if you have a Mac or a PC?

https://macphun.com/luminar - primarily Mac (Windows coming soon, it's in beta). RAW editor with lots and lots of looks/filters. I've never used it, but a friend reports finding it superb.

5. PeteRob

If you don't want photoshop why lease it? I think the upgrade LR 5 to 6 was £59 or so - must be 2 years ago. I just this afternoon checked for updates and went from 6:10 to 6:12 ( there is no 6:11)

6. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

That's fine, but it's different to 'I don't want to pay monthly'. It's 'I don't want to pay monthly for something I won't use' which is totally understandable.

7. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

Sorry, just got home from work

Windows 10 - laptop

Reason - I'm not that serious, it's all just a bit of fun with the dark night approaching.
    Fact is (I'm sure I mentioned this?) I'm currently building a wall 3/4 way around my house...150ft long!!
    I'm no Bricky, but their quotes were outrageous- talking Leica M9 kit money!! No Ta!!
    So I'm doing it all myself. The garden was excavated in April - 150 tons taken away....and 32 tons of top soil bagged up!! Me and my partner did the bagging.....with a bucket into 32 1 ton bags!! Took us both 2wks, plus we were both working full time too...the pounds fell off!

That was back in spring, I've only just completed the back block wall (double wall) I've now got to go back to the beginning and face it all in stone... after work....in the dark too! Lucky me Eh!
    So, the photography idea is for when I can't work outside (rain/frost etc).
    Needless to say I don't want to commit to a monthly charge if I'm not using it. Maybe once I've dabbled with RAW I'll think differently - but for now I'd just like to experiment.
    I note LR 5 was available on CD, I might try and find a copy - incidentally, why cd? Why not cards? I dread the thought of loading multiple CDs to download, seems draconian.

8. PeteRob

If you just want to do raw processing use a free package. The advantage of LR is the organiser and other tools. RawTherapee is exhaustive in its options.