1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Craggy Coastline

Discussion in 'Photographic Locations' started by Lounge Lizard, Jun 20, 2006.

1. 0

0 Guest

New Zealand? Slartibartfast did Norway, so by your first statement that's where you ought to find the crag-of-crags. ;)

2. geoid

geoid Well-Known Member

Yeah you're right. It can only be Norway really. Lol :D

3. Hotblack

Hotblack Dead Horse Flogger

I find that fjords give a lovely baroque feeling to the country.

4. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

I have never felt a baroque so I couldnt make the comparison?

Graeme

5. Mattyjc

Mattyjc Well-Known Member

Just got back from North Devon...Lynton and Lynmouth, my they are liking their hills down there!!

Some fantastic coast, hopefully pictures to follow.

Matt

6. bagpuss

bagpuss Well-Known Member

Shouldn't you be in the pun thread? ;)

7. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

Pembrokeshire it is !

Decision made - that's where we are headed on Wednesday. All I need now are ideas for things to see and do for a week and the best bits of the coastline for dusk shots.

Oh, and while you are at it, what camera settings to use... only kiddin' ;)

Thanks

8. bagpuss

bagpuss Well-Known Member

Re: Pembrokeshire it is !

Well, have a lovely time!

9. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

David,

Don't forget you'll get a much better latitude with Velvia film rather than that digital thing you've been using recently ;)

10. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

.............many's a true word spoken in jest! :D :D :D

BigWill

11. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Yeah, let's hear it for Wales! ;-)

You'll love it - if the weather's good - I'm sure. You're after beach access as I recall, so try the sandy bits around the Marloes peninsula, or around Broad Haven, a bit further up, or Whitesands Bay up near St. David's. Or again try down south of Pembroke - Stackpole area. The steps down to the ancient chapel at Govan's Head may be worth trying too - no beach IIRC (must be the better part of forty years since I was there), but craggy scenery aplenty, and the chapel itself is worth a composition or three. Probably won't get the light so well at dusk, though, being on the south Pembs. coast.

If you want to try a little further afield and the tide is low, try going up the coast past Cardigan to Llangrannog and walk to Ynys Lochtyn - some fantastic rock formations.

12. Re: Pembrokeshire it is !

The most dramatic rock formations are at Ceibwr Bay - just South of Cardigan - near Moylegrove.

Here are a selection of our photos (Rachel, Alison & Me) of the North Pembrokeshire Coastline

and South Pembrokeshire (all Rachels)

Alison has taken some spectacular views of St Govan's chapel from the sea and I'll be putting those up on the South Pembs page on Wednesday - too late for you to see.
    Suggest you go on a boat trip - avoid misty days if you can!

What to do - heaps - my family activities page (Scroll down for for grown ups)

Castles - Pembroke is over hyped! Carew, Manorbier & Cilgerran are worth a visit.

Try Cenarth (My photos)

Strumble Head near Goodwick/Fishguard (Alison's photos)

Other suggestions:
    Gwaun Valley (approach from Fishguard)
    St Davids (My Photos - bar two by Rachel)
    Grassholme (Alisons Photos)

In the office, we all now try and take a camera out at weekends to photograph the area. Gradually building into a library of interesting pictures.

So visit our front page and scroll down for the photo galleries. I don't get a commission if you book a holiday cottage, but if you do it keeps me in employment! (Were almost full for August, but September onwards is generally no problem)

Paul

13. Lounge Lizard

Thanks Paul - some good information there. Too late to book anything with you - leaving tomorrow!

14. Badgerman

Badgerman Well-Known Member

Hi David,

Take a look at this site, www.pembrokeshirephotos.eu
    there are some fantastic photographs on there and may be of help.

Regards, Colin.

15. Simon E.

Simon E. Well-Known Member

We spent a week in Stackpole, Pembrokeshire last month. St Govan's chapel, well worth a visit, is close to Broad Haven south, a gorgeous curved beach in a bay. In fact, this part of Pembrokeshire is less popular than the honeypots further North, yet Barafundle is another terrific beach, along with Freshwaters East & West, Manorbier, Tenby.... (I could go on but you get the idea).

In between are the limestone / sandstone cliffs and the Coastal Path (though annoyingly off-limits at the South Western area where the MoD practice killing people). I particularly liked Carew castle, a few miles from Pembroke, and have some SFX200 b&w infrared still in the camera from there.

Simon.

16. Lounge Lizard

Well, Pembrokeshore was great. Didn't quite get the shots I had in mind (the needs of a holiday - eating, drinking and sleeping got in the way) but the coastline was fantastic. I'll post some shots later (read - the next few days!)

17. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Excellent - glad to hear you had a good break.

Re. getting the shots, I find that is so often the case in photography - I go out with a definite plan about what I'm going to shoot, but the landscape, or the weather, or the wildlife, or whatever it might be, has different ideas. Still, as long as I'm adaptable I usually come home with something worthwhile.

18. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Getting the planned shot - 4 pic warning

Yes indeed. In the Lake District last week, I had no intention of nipping down to the edge of Derwentwater. But the weather was poor, so I thought a B&W version of a well-known shot might work:

[​IMG]

However, I'm not sure the colour original doesn't actually work better:

[​IMG]

But then a few feet away, I got my B&W shot anyway (I can't tell if there's enough tone separation on the fells for this version, but it's printed beautifully):

[​IMG]

Earlier, I hadn't got the shot I wanted because of the weather, but I got this instead:

[​IMG]

which in the circumstances (rain!), I'm more than happy with.

19. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Re: Getting the planned shot - 4 pic warning

I always thought you hated the boats-and-landing-stages-at-the-head-of-derwentwater shots. No? Well, they look good to me - although your JPEG compression is showing a little. ;-)

20. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Re: Getting the planned shot - 4 pic warning

I do. It's a new project - photos of clich├ęs with hopefully, a different slant. A plan thought of when not entirely sober.... ;)

Yup, they've been through the mill because of where I've posted them.