1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Craggy Coastline

Discussion in 'Photographic Locations' started by Lounge Lizard, Jun 20, 2006.

1. bob58

bob58 Well-Known Member

might help you make your mind up cornwall

2. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Ryanair Stansted to Prestwick 06:40 arrive 07:50
    Train from Prestwick to Kilwinning 29mins....change 9:05 train to Ardrossan 15mins...Connects with 9:45 ferry (55mins)Brodick....bus to Brodick Castle 5mins. Tea and cake in the castle....take some pics.....

.....but I'm not sure if you would make it back on the same day!.....

....but I'm not sure if you would want to? (there is a brewery on the way to the castle)... :D

Graeme

3. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

You're certainly doing your bit for the Arran Tourist Board, Graeme - sure you're not on a retainer? ;-)

4. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Funny you should say that.....I actually have a meeting with the Arran tourist folk on Monday morning.....and another on Tuesday morning.....do you think I should be looking for a brown envelope! :eek: Seriously, Arran sells itself very well! :rolleyes:

Graeme

5. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

Sounding better by the minute :D :D

What I meant was, once I get there, can I get about a lot? Are there lots of nice buses (etc?) to get me to where Id like to go?

Er, I was planning on a day out, no :D Long weekend? 4 days?

6. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

The local buses go round and round the island and will basically drop you off or pick you up on demand. There are lots of interesting bits of coastline to explore with good level paths (and a good sprinkling of pubs and cafes). (Of course if you want mountains and a bit of a challenge there are plenty for a few days!) The castle on the gardens are easy walking.....the standing stones at Machrie are about 1 mile more or less on the level....level access to the seal colonies etc. So its possible to go out for an interesting varied day by using the bus to pick you up and drop you off...

Graeme

7. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

Sounds tempting - tea and ckaes in the castle. Must find out a bit more. Good coastline, craggy rocks, things to see... still deciding what to do for a holiday this year.

8. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

You may well spot me later in the year for a long weekend with cake in a castle :D

9. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

What sort of accomodation would you be after....I could probably give you some recommendations....pm?

Graeme

10. Re: Craggy Coastline - Refinement

Just backing Huw up!

Abereidy

[​IMG]

Abercastle:

[​IMG]

Ceiber Bay:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All the above are Pembrokeshire

Llangrannog is in Ceredigion (Cardiganshire)
    [​IMG]

Journey time: Two and a half hours from the Severn Bridge - first hour and a half M4, the rest A roads.

More varied than North Cornwall, plus access to mountains & lakes as a plus.

But then I am biased!

Paul

11. Nod

Nod Well-Known Member

Re: Craggy Coastline - Refinement

I vote for North Cornwall - but I'm only 90 minutes away from it -on a bad day!

MUCH better in winter when the tourists are less dense (although that's debatable...!) but the light's not so good then.

Whenever and wherever you go, check tide times first to see if you can hit the beach when you want to get those pix!

12. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Good source of tidal information
    here
    select nearest location to where you are going and it lists times and height of tides.
    I still suggest Dorset, shorter journey than most of the other suggestions. :rolleyes:
    Cheers ~MIKE

13. Hwntws

Hwntws Well-Known Member

I'd suggest that you give Gower Peninsular South Wales a try, close to Swansea, lots of beaches and cliffs, along with Worms Head, one of the most outstanding places for sunsets. It's Pembrokeshire in miniature.
    Ray

14. davec

davec Active Member

North East Coast Line is fantastic David, a bit out your way but Alnwick and Northumberland Coast line is beautiful. Bamburgh Castle is well worth a visit. £30 return flight on easyjet from stansted to Newcastle...plus if you like taking photos of bridges then theres around about Six in Newcastle centre, as well as the Angel of the North ten mins outside. And Newcastle centre is a 15min metro or drive from Tynemouth another lovely coastline.

15. nanstallon

nanstallon Well-Known Member

My vote would go to the coastline in North Cornwall and North Devon. You can see such amazing rock formations around Bude and Hartland Point with brilliant anticlines and synclines. Like a geology textbook.

Accessibility - drive M5 to Exeter, A30 to Okehampton, then 30 miles of A road to Bude; alternatively leave M5 around Tiverton, take A361 North Devon link road, past Barnsatple and Bideford and A39 to Hartland. Or train to Exeter, then either (1) train to Barnstaple and bus 319 to Hartland or bus X9 Exeter to Bude.

As a Westcountryman, I wouldn't be biased, surely!

John

16. geoid

geoid Well-Known Member

Seeing Britain's west side is generally a lot more craggy than it's east, I like Wales personally, and Cornwall too.

17. geoid

geoid Well-Known Member

But for uber-crags...my Auntie lives in Oslo. So I have to say Norway is the ultimate is cragness.

18. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Just ask Slartibartdfast...where is when you need him....feeding the mice I suppose?

Graeme

19. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

20. geoid

geoid Well-Known Member

Yes, slatibartfast excelled himself there no doubt. For sheer cragginess there is no match.

I am sure there is an ultimate crag out there somewhere, possibly New Zealand?

One day ye shall seek out and find the "crag-of-crags", and ye shall photo it...