1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Craggy Coastline

Discussion in 'Photographic Locations' started by Lounge Lizard, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

Where may I find some nice craggy coastline with water-washed rocks for some landscape work? Ideally in the UK and within a day's drive of London.

Thanks

2. Norman

Norman Well-Known Member

David

Anywhere in the UK is within a day's drive of London. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

West country probably the best bet, North Cornish coast.

3. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

North Cornwall gets my vote as well

4. Lounge Lizard

True. I suppose the north coast of Scotland is reachable in a day as well.

What I menat to say, is somewhere with a craggy coast to spend a long weekend and being able to drive there.

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

From Cambridge? North Yorkshire, I would suggest.

6. Norman

Norman Well-Known Member

Still say N. Cornwall.

No one does craggy coasts better than Cornwall. ;)

7. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

I think your easiest option would be Pembrokeshire. Cornwall is similar, but it takes an awful lot longer to get there than you think it should, going by mileage alone. But Pembs is relatively quick to get to.

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Quite. Nobody would deny that the Cornish coast is craggy:

[​IMG]

but it's a mighty long way from anywhere!

P.S. That's the western Cornish coast, of course, less than a mile from Land's End.

9. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Dorset has some good rocks too, the Purbeck coast and Portland, also it's nearer London than some of the other suggestions. Swanage, Wareham or Weymouth good bases of operation, unless you want night life as well in which case probably nearer Bournemouth/Poole.
    The South West coast path starts on the Studland side of Poole Harbour entrance and you can walk it all the way to Weston Super Mud if you got a few weeks spare. It does make access easy as it really does follow the coast except in some of the towns en route.
    Most of the rock tends to shades of grey or sandy brown. Some spots have been shot many times, Lulworth cove, Durdle Door, Old Harry rocks, and parts of Portland Bill, others are less familiar, usually because they are a bit further from the nearest car park (often vertically as well as horizontally!!) Dancing Ledges, Seacombe Cliff, Winspit, & St Aldhelms head. The local houses in the Purbecks are all built of local stone (you don't get planning permission otherwise)
    Some nice examples of strip lynchets (evidence of ancient terraced fields) near Worth Matravers, where you will also find the famed Square and Compass mentioned in these pages recently.
    Cheers MIKE

10. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

Another vote for Cornwall - especially on the South-West coast path.

[​IMG]

The journey time would of course depend on the amount of caravans that pollute the road.

11. Lounge Lizard

Craggy Coastline - Refinement

A craggy coastline with accessible beaches or the ability to get close to sea level and have rocks around rather than point the camera down to photograph cliffs.

12. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

Re: Craggy Coastline - Refinement

North Yorkshire then. Whitby, Robin Hood's Bay, Runswick Bay, Staithes, anywhere round there. Try to get 'off the beaten track' of the towns and follow the coast round.

13. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Exactly.

14. Per

Per Well-Known Member

I'd second Dorset over Cornwall for accessibility.

I'd also recommend Kimmeridge Bay for water-washed rocks for a special reason - fossils. They make unusual foreground interest (please - no more round rocks)

Take care though, the rocks are both polished and oily (there are nearby oil wells) so you *will* fall on your **** at least once while carrying your camera...

15. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

I repeat, Pembrokeshire.

16. Lounge Lizard

Got the message Huw - will investigate. Thanks.

17. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

For sea level rocks in Dorset, Lulworth cove, somewhat over exposed though, Kimmeridge as Per says above, though I've not had any problems with oil, there is a nodding donkey there bringing up high grade shale oil used for machine oil IIRC, it's been there since at least WW2. Chapman's pool is another sea level access. Best though in my opinion is Dancing Ledges although it is a steep walk down about 3/4 mile or so from car parking. Between St Aldhelms head and Durlston head not far from Swanage.
    I'm hoping to be in that area tomorrow evening with my son, looking for easy access points so we can go and drown some worms (AKA fishing). taking the camera so may get you some examples of the area.
    Cheers MIKE

18. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Get a Ryanair to Prestwick and come over to Arran for the day....better still make it a weekend... :D

Graeme

19. elenydd

elenydd Well-Known Member

20. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

Y'know Id thought of doing that myself, but not being able to drive (epilepsy before you all figure Ive been banned!) or being tremendously nimble on my feet I didnt know if Id be able to see much?