1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Couple Old Guys

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by HenryW, Feb 13, 2017.

1. HenryW

HenryW Well-Known Member

Probably talking coffee prices.

[​IMG]

2. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

For me, a rather uninvolving grab, in that they are not doing anything and there is nothing interesting in their facial expressions.

Terrywoodenpic likes this.
  3. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I've got hundreds of shots like this, but in the last 8-10 months I've almost completely stopped taking them. In another of your shots (I think it was yours) I asked what emotion or intent were you trying to get across, and you simply accepted that and said the shot needed more work (I'm paraphrasing). I'll ask again - what's the intent or emotion behind this? What are you trying to say with this image?

I'm interested in your answer?

When I was taking these, I was taking them and thinking 'I hope that looks interesting', or just taking lots and lots of shots and thinking 'I hope that guy's face looks interesting'. And sometimes they do, sometimes it works out, and sometimes something happens in the background that adds value. But it's rare.

Are you taking shots for documentary reasons (i.e. a record of how people dressed and looked over time), or to try and convey a message, or an emotion or a feel, or a story? Are you taking shots as a memory, I was here, and I saw this and enjoyed it, or are you taking photographs to express the emotion you felt when you saw it?

Photographs are three things. They're a record of what was there, they're a way of expressing a message or feeling, and they're art. The ratio of those three things varies depending on the photographer's intent when pressing the shutter button.

lfc1892, RovingMike and Craig20264 like this.
  4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Old?

5. HenryW

HenryW Well-Known Member

I do not "try to get across" apart from capturing and sharing a moment in a place where I am and you (general) aren't. I value photography for it's ability to be illustrative, illustrative of a moment on a busy street (busy meaning occupied by many people going about their lives), illustrative of a beautiful girl (a portrait) or illustrative of a moment in an attractive landscape. Also as being illustrative of characteristics of fauna and flora for identification. So I illustrate a place and time with a photo. The photos I post always hold interest for me (a photo may hold interest for a myriad of reasons). They may not (generally have not) for other viewers. I am not at all interested in presenting my photos as art in fact I'm not really interested in treating any photography as art until it goes beyond framing the camera view (the work of Jessika Hines for example). I don't take photos as an emotional response to anything. I also don't accept retrograde notions that establish firm tenets regarding what are or aren't legitimate approaches to photography.

Pete: yes old like me...;)

6. EightBitTony

Okay, so given all of that - what's your aim when posting images in the Appraisals section? What feedback are you seeking? This is a serious question, I'm not trying to impose anything. If I understand what you're seeking in the Appraisals section, then I have a better chance of targeting feedback in that area.

Gezza and Catriona like this.
  7. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

So on that basis, it captures a moment of no significance, distinguished only by the fact that we were not present. So on that basis, successful. Never realised it was all that easy.

8. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Your use of the word 'illustrative' is not coinciding with my understanding of it. Something that is 'illustrative', enlightens, or explains, or perhaps even interprets. It does not merely 'show'. I would agree that this image 'shows' us two (not *that* old) men on a street, but it doesn't tell me anything about them. There's not enough context for a start. They could be two middle aged men in California, or Normandy, or even Filey at the height of summer. They might be talkign coffee prices, or they could be arguing over a parking space. And actually, becuase of the way that photography can capture the most fleeting of moments, we don't really know that they're even talking to one another - they're certainly not making eye contact with each other. They could just as well be saying 'excuse me' as one partially bumps the other in the street. So you are correct, it does show us a moment that you photographed in a place where you were and I for one was not. And that might well be more than enough of a reason to take a photograph, but then it begs the question, what do you want from putting it in the appraisal section? If your only intent is to 'show' us something it might be better in the exhibition gallery.

9. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

But on pure technicalities, the DoF is far too deep. We really don't need to be seeing a line of bras as sharp as that, Trujillo truncated etc. Most street photographers rarely stray from wide open to limit it as far as possible. But if you're just snooping with a long lens, can be hard to do at infinity.

10. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I do not see the point in this shot. not even the beer gut nor hairy chest make any sort of statement that is in the least interesting.
    They do not seem to be involved in anything so do not draw me in.
    As part of a series covering an event, they might at least have context. But still not make the cut.

11. HenryW

HenryW Well-Known Member

Very good then.

12. EightBitTony

I understand your frustration, but all I'm doing is trying to find out if you're posting in Appraisals for some constructive feedback, and what kind of feedback (technical, artistic, etc.) or if you're seeking a conversation about the content, or if you're seeking more simple feedback like 'good shot' or 'interesting location'. It matters, and I'm just trying to help?

Edit: Or indeed, if you're just sharing your images and not expecting / wanting any feedback (which is an option I missed out above).

Craig20264 likes this.
  13. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

If that is the case they should really be posted in the exhibition section.

14. EightBitTony

Yes, the point of my questions is to try and help HenryW, to see if he's posting in the right place and what the best outcome is.

15. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I don't know how to take that either.

When I see a picture in Appraisal I see a request for help - how can this image be made better? It helps to have a clue as to what the poster thinks is missing. I don't purposefully take pictures of people unless they are deliberately making an exhibition of themselves so commenting on "people shots" I find very difficult and generally do not do. In this example I have no idea what is being asked for in terms of appraisal and this seems to be what others feel too.

16. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Technically I'd be inclined to increase the illumination fractionally on the face of the guy facing us as his hat is casting a fairly strong shadow. Visually it's a slice of life and clearly not part of the UK but for all that it doesn't really grab my attention that much.