1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Council: 'We have a right to question all photographers'

Discussion in 'News - Discussion' started by CSBC, Nov 26, 2012.

1. hech54

hech54 Well-Known Member

2. Bob Maddison

Bob Maddison Well-Known Member

You have a right to remain silent, but anything you do say . . ,

3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Quite literally in this case

4. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

5. brummie

brummie Well-Known Member

ok what the story does not tell, was it in a public square in the town center or what ever, if so sod off, I would have carried on regardless and would have called the police myself if they continues harassing me and not some pcso.

brummie

6. Cuthbert

Cuthbert Well-Known Member

7. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

No but to the story. :)

8. P_Stoddart

Problem with that is it waste police resources. Again money is tight. :mad:

The council simple should not be doing this. They should instead just say to the public (like they do with CCTV) that because it is popular event the public will in all likely be taking photos.

9. hech54

hech54 Well-Known Member

If you mean "carry on photographing" then yes....that is what I meant. When I posted this story to my FaceBook page I said exactly that.....just keep on taking pictures and tell them "If what I am doing is illegal then call the police."

10. alanS

alanS Well-Known Member

This council is just reflecting the view held by many in our society that any man with a camera is a paedo or if not a paedo then some other form of deviant or pervert.

Their view and statements reinforce my view that many paid officials shouldn't be.

11. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I have to say I've never seen anything as absurd as their policy on photography. How could they possibly enforce it? I can understand them trying to protect their commercial interests, but this is just plain crazy.

12. surf_digby

surf_digby Well-Known Member

"Council officials have officially warned all photographers – including amateurs and those with camera phones – that they must seek permission to take pictures at council-run events, including those designed to celebrate Christmas. "

Right, so everyone who was planning on bringing a phone with them that contains a camera (ie: almost all of them these days) must get permission from the media office first? How about people with photographic memories?

"The council said it does not currently hold an official photography policy"

Okay, so photographers have to get permission in accordance with a policy that doesn't actually exist. Well done. Bravo. Your PR dept have really earned their bonus this year.

‘The council has a duty of care during events to members of the public"

The photographers ARE members of the public, you imbeciles! How many more times does this have to be pointed out? Christ, ownership of cameras (in whatever form) is higher now than it's ever been.

and has the right to question all photographers.

You have a right to ask. We have a right not to answer. Just as I have a right to ask you to hand over your bank card and tell me your PIN number.

A council spokesperson said the same rules apply to members of the public using camera phones.

I await with baited breath the masses of people with camera phones being ejected because they don't have the required, pre-arranged media accreditation.

13. civ71

civ71 New Member

Well it is possible that the council has a right to implement this policy.
    So let's all decide to send a request to the council to go and photograph one of their event, and swamp their "corporate communication department" (what a pretentious name, btw) with request.
    If they receive enough (meaning too much) they will repel this senseless and possibly illegal policy.
    corporate.communications@merthyr.gov.uk

Let's act and make as much noise as possible!

14. Spen45

Spen45 Member

To repost - according to Wales On Line the events took place on Lower High Street and, from the picture in the AP report and Google street view looks like it near this carpark http://goo.gl/maps/zAVYm (based on the structure of the boundar wall and the neighbouring building). So almost certainly council property (might have helped if AP had mentioned where the picture was taken).

Looking again it possibly happened on the paved area around the water fountain looking thingy

Would anyone care to define public space as it's a term that seems to be used a lot on this thread

15. surf_digby

surf_digby Well-Known Member

The Public Order Act and the Criminal Justice Act define a public place as:

“Public place” includes any highway and any other premises or place to which at the material time the public have or are permitted to have access, whether on payment or otherwise”.

16. P_Stoddart

No argument here. :)

Total barking.

17. P_Stoddart

I have a very very sneaking suspicion that could be EVERY person at the event. :p It's going to be abit empty. :D

18. brummie

brummie Well-Known Member

well that looks to me like public land, probably classed as highway for pedestrians, so the sod off applies and if they wish to take it to civil court they can waste their council money and then sack a few afterwards after they have wasted their time. there would be no restrictions there at all. what you would probably need a license for is to sell alcohol, hawk, ie take pictures of people on the spot and then, charge them on the spot and take money on the spot, would be street trading, but taking images even with a tripod, no no license required, I suggest those in that area do a flash mob to make the point and also spend time photographing as many council employees as possible. brummie

19. Bejay

Bejay Well-Known Member

That's the key point that seems to get missed on each of these types of threads when 'public land' is assumed; very little land will not be owned by some party - access is granted/permitted under terms that the landowner may choose to put in place.

20. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Forgive me, I'm asking because I genuinely don't know. Spen45 seems to be suggesting that a High Street and an area near a carpark are most likely council property. Surely that can't be right? The carpark, perhaps - I can see that. Especially if it's not a free car park - it's bringing in revenue for the council. But a High Street? Just because land falls within a council's jurisdiction surely doesn't make it their property? If that's the case the only place you could legally take photographs would presumably be inside your own home. Unless it was a council house.