1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Council: 'We have a right to question all photographers'

Discussion in 'News - Discussion' started by CSBC, Nov 26, 2012.

1. CSBC

CSBC RIP (News Editor)

2. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

So their definition of 'photographer' is somebody with an SLR or 'serious' looking camera, I suppose. Or are they planning to question everyone with a camera, smartphone, tablet ...?

3. CSBC

CSBC RIP (News Editor)

A council spokesperson has just told me that it would adopt the same approach towards people with mobile phones.
    Chris

4. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

5. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

That's fine and dandy if it's on council property but surely there might be issues if it's on public land.

6. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Hypocrisy has never been a bar to the terminally officious and the more petty the officials the more hypoctritcial they tend to be.

Once again we see overpaid, under-employed jobsworths led by self aggrandising councillors with very little interest in democracy trying to overturn the established freedoms of this country - which currently still includes Wales.

There are times, like now, when I think this country is walking blindfold into a dictatorship of the worthless...:mad:

7. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

Glad to hear it! ;)

8. MartyG

MartyG Well-Known Member

Flash mob.

9. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

And photographers have the right to tell them to get stuffed if the event is not on council property such as a leisure centre.

10. MartyG

MartyG Well-Known Member

This is the same council that banned a disabled lad's mother from travelling in a taxi with him to school because she wasn't CRB checked and wanted a blanket ban (or tax) on the sale of chewing gum.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  11. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

They have no rights to do so on public property whatsoever under the law in England and Wales. The best they could do is call the police. I suggest telling them to buy a packet of Paxo and induldge. Morons ... just wish I could use stronger language, but as always it is best to make a laughing stock of such Local Authorities.

12. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I'm with them on the chewing gum!

13. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I rather think that is a good idea especially at a critical time.

Photographers should demand to be questioned. and form a large queue around the event.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  14. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

I don't usually rant, but this is quite beyond the pale.

Who do these imbeciles think they are? Do they really believe they can implement a policy that clearly abrogates the Nation's law? ...and who the devil do they think paid for this little junket? I am damn' sure it didn't come from the council bosses' personal accounts.

Frankly, this whole saga stinks of the 'us and them' syndrome that people with a little power like to assume. Some one should remind this council that they are public servants, paid for by tax payers, and some slight measure of servility would be more appropriate than making dictatorial statements that are clearly nonsense.

15. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

Well said!

16. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

So Merthyr Tydfil County Borough Council trumps Parliament?

17. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Once again a council forgetting who pays the bill. :mad:

They are there to serve ALL the public including photographers and let's face it that is everyone with a mobile phone.

I really pray they challenge someone with real legal muscle and get dragged into court.

Then I would expect the complete idiot who passed this policy to get their P45.

I reckon photographers should form their own political party and the councillor out their comfortable jobs.

This has to be halted. It not even the thin end of the wedge is it the splinters on the floor. :(

I ask every members on here to email this council and voice their protest at this. So it is on the record.

I going raise my concerns with my MP and the MP of that area.

At what point did taking a shot of a Xmas tree become so wrong? Did I miss a meeting here. :rolleyes:

Any chance we could have input from a media lawyer who can tell us if this is within the laws?

Or are we foolish to assum that every space OUTSIDE that is council owned and open to the public is basically public highway and there free for photography. If the council owns it the taxpayer owns it.

If you are on private land fair do's but this cannot be the case as it is highly unlike that the council would run a event on private land and then fork out the expense. Must be council property.

18. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

19. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Did you give him a link to this thread. :)

20. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Strictly speaking (n.p.i.), is not everyone free to question everyone else? And is not anyone so questioned, free to smile sweetly :) and say nothing or ask politely 'Please tell me first what business it is of yours?'

:confused: