1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could this all go badly wrong?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by miked, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Still don't understand why he didn't perform under his real name... ;)

2. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I like shortbread and Nessie at least. Nessie doesn't mind the tourist boats chasing her and putting her off feeding for hours and is far preferable to chasing dolphins in the sea. We are pretty good at parties too;)

And the whisky is a good reason to keep our water clean.....as Salmon should have been!

3. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Now I'm going to have to listen to that again!

4. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Brilliant song. One of my all time favourites.

Catriona likes this.
  5. Catriona

Instantly recognizable from the first bars!

6. miked

miked Well-Known Member

One of the principal concerns about this 'gigantic' farm is that all the fish faeces will kill off all the current natural sea life in the area. What remained unsaid was the fact that to kill off parasites whose offspring can eat the salmon alive, large amounts of chemicals are used to kill invasive parasites which, of course, will not be healthy for all manner of species in the area. There have been investigative TV reports in to salmon farming around Scotland none of which has been other than hugely critical of the whole industry.
    Further reading here:
    https://www.theguardian.com/environ...oved-despite-warnings-of-irrecoverable-damage

Nig and daft_biker like this.
  7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Not sure I could recognise it out here in the fields.

Catriona likes this.
  8. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Are you fighting for your meals?

Benchista likes this.
  9. Catriona

10. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Who are you to post that:rolleyes:

Catriona likes this.
  11. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

One of the TV reports is here for those of us in the UK and for those overseas there are similar ones on YouTube...
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0005hc1/panorama-salmon-farming-exposed

12. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

This hopefully is a devolved issue. If the SNP really believe in democracy then they will let the locally elected councils deal with it.
    I do not interfere. I do buy Scottish farmed salmon without any sense of guilt.

13. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Have you seen how little omega 3 the farmed stuff has over wild stuff? Food labeling is quite strict on what food can be labeled as "high in omega 3" and farmed salmon, or at least the stuff I was familiar with, could only claim the the lesser "source of omega 3" wording. And considering that there is typically several times as much fat in a farmed salmon as a wild one makes it all the more shocking.

Saw lots of sealice and balls of orange puss in the flesh on the ones that were getting to me to sell to the public too.

Chicken appear to get treated better!

14. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

15. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

It will be worse.

16. Learning

I do not see any possibility of a trade deal with America. A free trade deal would would result in a huge trade deficit. All America wants to do is dump.
    America First is one of Trump's mottos.

17. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

"Never give a sucker an even break" is another.

18. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

19. Learning

Are you suggesting that Britain, or even UK, is a sucker. We are quite capable of telling America to ffoff. Most of the "American" goods that we value actually come from the far east.
    What do we sell them? Whisky. and whiskey. The latter does not matter, and the former will only increase in prestige when it becomes more expensive in America.

20. Learning

That's not Boris's fault. I would blame the wea yappy scottie terrier.