1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could this all go badly wrong?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by miked, Aug 14, 2019 at 9:17 AM.

1. miked

miked Well-Known Member

A gigantic "organic" salmon farm just off the Isle of Skye is on the cards: See report below:
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...arm-raises-environmental-concerns-in-hebrides

Given the track record of the Canadian firm involved (Mowi) whose other salmon farms around Scotland have a somewhat questionable record of cleanliness and good management, is it sensible of the Scottish government to give it the go-ahead?

2. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

This is an affront to proper salmon farmers like Ian Anderson and Roger Daltrey!

Cheers, Jeff

PS. Does anyone know what attraction salmon farming holds for aging rock stars?

3. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

They know their scales?

AndyTake2, Gezza, Zou and 3 others like this.
  4. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Daltrey farms trout that are used to stock his fishing lakes.

5. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I still think the poached ones (or bits) I used to be given were the best. Community ownership put the mockers on that though :(

6. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

That'll do nicely;)

7. dream_police

Who?

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Just how big is a gigantic organic salmon?

9. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Ask John West

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Is that Fred's brother? Because if so, I can see where this might start to get fishy...

11. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Just be careful you don't poach other people's ideas, it's all a smokescreen

12. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Well I don't think it is sensible, what with all the radioactive clouds that come over this way from Russia! Bad enough after Chernobyl.

13. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

I thought he had given that up. I read an interview with him, a few years ago, where he was complaining about the attitude of some anglers.

14. dream_police

He sold it to some Irish fella, Baba O'Riley.

Catriona likes this.
  15. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

is that so he won't get fooled again?

Catriona and dream_police like this.
  16. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Politicians and their families have financial interests in the fisheries.

It is a disgrace that the SNP continues it's plan to expand (double by 2030 IIRC) the salmon farming industry in Scotland trotting out 50 year old arguments in the face of the expanding environmental impact. The Green MSP wants to put the brakes on expansion until the cost to the environment is brought under control but all the rest want the money.

17. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

A bit like North Sea Oil and Gas...as they said in the 60's "free energy for all" and we know how that's turned out in all it's glories

18. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Aye, the oil seems to be another unsustainable industry the SNP want to drive the economy of an independent Scotland.

Zou likes this.
  19. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

To the Sassenach outsider the economy of Scotland seems to be run on Whisky, Salmon, Shortbread, Golf and Nessie...Oil and gas are very low down and there's very little else

20. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I've read that Derek Dick is an enthusiastic campaigner for improving the marine environment in Scotland (true!).

Cheers, Jeff

daft_biker and spinno like this.