1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cost of Repairs

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by Geoff H, Oct 5, 2019.

1. Geoff H

Geoff H New Member

I recently fell with my Sony A7 around my neck. The camera hit the ground and the lens parted company from the body. Since then, although the lens will attach to the body, it is lose because the lens mount on the camera is damaged. I have obtained an estimate for repair: a total of £407 to dismantle and replace parts, reset all contacts and set functions to manufacture's standards, front plate assembly, body mount and contact set. Am I being ripped-off at £407 or is this par for the course?

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Given the list of spares and the time involved it's not outrageous. Sony parts are generally quite expensive.

3. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

You could get a quote from Fixation.

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

My Canon 5Ds repair was £700 (I think, I've blotted it from memory) to replace the motherboard to fix an error condition. It did nothing to solve the battery drain problem on it though!

5. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

I paid £300 - 400 for a motherboard replacement a few years ago.

There comes a point where it is cheaper to buy a replacement used version of the same camera or an upgrade. Used A7s, with a warranty are about the price of your repair.

Are you covered by insurance?

RogerMac likes this.
  6. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

You can buy a used a7 for less than £500 .
    You could probably sell the damaged a7 if it works o.k dispite the wobbly lens mount ( declaring the fault ) for at least £150 to £250 .
    Someone would have it for spares , repairs etc . As the shutter ,sensor etc are worth quite a bit on their own .
    It would be worth looking into .
    At the lower end of that price , I'd be tempted bye it to convert to Infrared .

Might be cheaper to replace and sell yours .

7. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

There is also the possibility that there is damage to the lens, if the kit has suffered an impact that has damaged the body. The lens may now have misalignment to the internal elements (then again it may not). I would be tempted to just replace the whole lot with the equivalent or even upgrade and sell the damaged stuff as spares or repair as suggested above.

8. Geoff H

Geoff H New Member

Thanks for your responses, folks. I have decided to go ahead with the repair to the lens mount. Everything else, including the lens, seem to be in working order. I just wanted reassurance that I wasn't being over-charged. The amount does seem to be the going rate.