1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copying old photos?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by Collapsed Manhole, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Collapsed Manhole

Collapsed Manhole New Member

I have just been to my local library and copied some old photos using a HP Scanjet 300. I downloaded them onto a memory stick then onto my laptop at home.

3 problems

As the scanner is A4 the photos have a lot of blank space around them.

Many of the photos are the wrong way round.

I would have liked them to appear in my picture gallery with thumbnails but instead they have the Google Chrome icon.

Please could do with some help.

My laptop is on Windows 7 if this is of any relevance.

Thanks

Mike

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

You need some basic image processing software to rotate and crop the images. There are lots of free software products on the internet but I am sure Windows has one.

Generally speaking the copyright law says that you are permitted to make a single copy of a (minor) part of a published work for personal research use. If your intent is to put these images on the internet or otherwise give a copy to someone else then that would be a breach of that law. You should verify what the publication restrictions are on the frontispiece of the book you took them from. Normally they forbid storage in electronic media.

3. Collapsed Manhole

Just to be clear. The photos are my own family photos taken about 20 years ago and are on Kodak paper. I just need them on my computer to email them to the rest of my family.

Mike

Roger Hicks likes this.
  4. Collapsed Manhole

The library has another scanner, HP Scanjet 5590P. Would this be a better choice than the HP Scanjet 300.

Additionally I have discovered the images have been saved as a PDF file and I need them to be JPEG. I discovered a PDF to JPEG converter online PDF2JPG.net. Tried it but it does not work for me. Anyone else used it?

Thanks

Mike

5. PeteRob

Oh, I see, it read as if the photos were from the library.

Try Faststone http://www.faststone.org. You can generally also get good results photographing the photos if you are careful. Even a cameraphone can be a match for a scanner, especially a public one with a scratched platten

6. PeteRob

I've no idea what the difference between the scanners is. You could search for online manuals to see whether the controls allow preview or choice of file format. It much depends on whether they are standalone - push a button types or driven from a computer with scanning software. In a public library they may well have everything locked down to produce A4 pdfs only just to save staff time in setting them up afresh after each customer.

I've no idea about on-line converters. Be very security aware.

7. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Pete, Faststone Viewer does a great job of Jpeg to PDF conversion, but doesn't do the reverse conversion - at least, I've never found a way of doing it.

My suggestion for the OP's requirement would be to open the PDF file, right click on the image, select 'copy image' from the menu, and then go to Photoshop (or other editing program) and paste into a new document. If you don't have (or want ;)) the Adobe program, SumatraPDF is a decent, free, basic PDF program.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  8. PeteRob

I must admit I hadn't thought it through, I was just thinking of the necessary crop and rotate edits needed from the original post, not the pdf conversion. Still I am a bit surprised it can't open a pdf. Easiest way is to borrow a camera and photograph the original pictures.

9. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Another easy way around it is to open a blank document in whatever photo editing software you've got, get the pdf file on screen, hit the 'PrtScn' button on your keyboard, place the cursor in your blank document and hit Ctrl and V. This puts a screen shot of your pdf into your editing software so that you can crop it accordingly and save it as whatever file type you want.

Cheers, Jeff

10. PeteRob

From the original post I think that's a bit advanced, I have impression that there is no editing software.

11. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Depending on the PDF file, you should be able to open it, select and copy the picture (left-click on it and ^C), open Paint and paste it into that and Save it.

Paint is still there in W10, so I guess it is in all the earlier versions of Windows.

12. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Depending what camera you have, what lenses or what experience but you can achieve good results just by photographing the originals.

13. Collapsed Manhole

Thanks everyone for your advice, much appreciated. Just to address a few points. I have no problem opening the PDF files I really wanted a thumbnail/preview in my picture gallery and understand to achieve this I need JPEG files. Saves having to add a description to each photo. Have looked for paint in W7 but not able to find it, maybe just me.

However I think I have solved my problem. While searching for paint I came across a picture of a pair of scissors at the bottom of my screen. It says it is a snipping tool. I opened it and the instruction is to drag the cursor around the portion you wish to capture. So I opened one of my photos which having been copied on an A4 scanner have lots of white around them. I rotated the photo if required then dragged the cursor round the photo and as soon as I released a new screen appeared inviting me to save my captured image in a variety of formats and one of them is JPEG.

I have now achieved everything I desired. Done away with the blank space, rotation sorted and have a thumbnail for my picture gallery.

Happy man!!!

Mike

Catriona and Geren like this.
  14. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Sounds like you have it sorted. For future reference, depending on whether you have a mobile phone capable of supporting apps or not, there is an app called Office Lens which allows you to photograph a document and even if you don't get it 100% straight it will make the correction and give you a pretty decent 'scan' to save to your photos and email wherever you want it to go. Can be a convenient if you can't get to the library although obviously the resolution wo'nt be up to a proper flat bed scanner.