1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copper Mines

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by dream_police, Oct 12, 2019.

1. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

We had a tour down the copper mines at Alderley Edge today. These were first started in the Bronze Age. They are totally man made, mined by hand and gunpowder. They are not caves. We went down around 150ft below the surface. We took a group of 5 kids with us and joined by 3 other people, one of which was a so called psychic, who to be blunt was a PITA and was really annoying. She was receiving "downloads" (her words) from the universe as we were down there. She had a crystal necklace that was spinning as she was holding it (this may have had something to do with the movements of her hands!) We went below a fossil river bed which she placed both hands upon which made one of her arms vibrate as she equalised the power of the universe or some other such bollocks.

It was a really interesting trip though and we spent not far off 2 hours down there.

It was totally unlit apart from the headlamps on our helmets and taken with my iPhone.

Heading down a short shaft

[​IMG]mine1 by Nigel G, on Flickr

Some shiny blue rock

[​IMG]mine2 by Nigel G, on Flickr

Heading deeper into the mines

[​IMG]mine7 by Nigel G, on Flickr

[​IMG]mine6 by Nigel G, on Flickr

Luckily us adults didn't have to do this bit, although not much after this we had to traverse only around 20 foot on our bellies.

[​IMG]mine3 by Nigel G, on Flickr

[​IMG]mine5 by Nigel G, on Flickr

[​IMG]mine4 by Nigel G, on Flickr

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
    RovingMike, RogerMac and EightBitTony like this.
  2. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Did your guide at any stage suggest (insist) that everyone turned off their helmet lamps and phones, and cover their luminous watches? This is a wonderful experience while underground. Quite nice at first but after ten minutes or so quite stunning.

3. dream_police

Yes we went total dark for about 5 mins, some of it in silence, then he lit a candle to show what it was like for the early miners. He was very good. Turns out he knew my daughter too from when she worked in the pub in the area.

for £8 per head I thought it was good value too.

EightBitTony likes this.
  4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Fascinating, but sooner you than me.

5. Learning

It is worth doing something like this at least once in your life.

6. dream_police

And TBH wasn't as bad as you may thinks. One of our friends (the aunt of one of the boys) is a larger lady and she managed it, albeit with a struggle at times. Glad we wore helmets though, I dread to think what the state of my head would be if we hadn't!

7. Learning

Now for the candle light bit, there might have been a use for this f0.95 50mm Nikkor.
    Many years ago didn't the guts of Canon dream lens get inserted into a cine mount for a genuinely candle lit scene in a feature film.

8. dream_police

I took a photo of it ;)
    dark.jpg

AndyTake2, Zou and EightBitTony like this.
  9. dream_police

From the Wiki page linked above, this was a trip in the West Mine. I kept expecting the psychic to make contact with the 2 teens who died in there.

10. Learning

I have saved your image on my desktop and opened it in exiftool. Now when did you write that you had taken it? No mention of iphone but only Photoshop CC 2019.

11. dream_police

Haha. I assume you do know I was joking!

Learning likes this.
  12. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Barry Lyndon, possibly.

S

13. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Thank you for these pictures! very interesting. I've been in a silver mine in Mexico and a tin mine (I can't remember where now!) but your shots above are better than I remember those places.
    I particularly like shot #4 which is very Caravaggio!

14. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

I think this has interesting tonal qualities and a striking composition together with a perspective which challenges the viewers attitudes towards history and working conditions in an early capitalist society.

Sorry.

On the other hand, I cannot understand why anyone would want to go into such confined spaces. The thought of having to crawl through something as tight as those - mines4 - makes me feel quite ill. Rather you than me.

S

15. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

It's out of focus, and the composition baffles the viewer.

16. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Reminds me of a black cat in a coal hole at midnight

17. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

That's really interesting, Nige, thanks for sharing it with us. I wonder where Alan Garner rediscovered that shovel? Not hugely relevant but I've met him at a book signing and he's a very interesting chap - bit of a photographer, still using a Contax SLR.

About 13 years ago SWMBO and I visited the copper mines on the Great Orme (the ones you wouldn't get Steve down!), and found them fascinating. To add a cherry to the cream on top, they had an archaeologist on hand to answer questions and it didn't take us long to realise that the dear old boy was the chap who'd rediscovered them in the 1960s! I think we bored him titless, but could have asked him stupid questions all day.

ETA we also went round (on a totally seperate occasion) HM S/M Ocelot at Chatham in a party that includeed two West Indian ladies of not inconsiderable girth, and matching shopping bags. We had visions of having to remove them from the hatches with vaseline and a plunger but they had an absolute whale of a time, and the sheer amount of fun they were having rubbed off on the rest of the party too. Believe me your life is not complete until you've seen two large ladies, complete with shopping, swinging through hatches in the appropriate Run Silent Run Deep fashion.

Adrian

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019