1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Contiguous Numbers

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by EightBitTony, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Ooh - You are awfull. :cool:

2. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Really run in to a roadblock, both emotionally and content-wise.

Struggling to get out and take shots (motivation) and really struggling when I do to find an #81 I like. Here's the five before that.

[​IMG]#76 by Tony Evans, on Flickr

[​IMG]#77 by Tony Evans, on Flickr

[​IMG]#78 by Tony Evans, on Flickr

[​IMG]#79 by Tony Evans, on Flickr

[​IMG]#80 by Tony Evans, on Flickr

One thing I've spotted myself doing is moving through themes, not always intentionally, so I'll find a particular approach and use it a few times in a row, and then change to another. The last few all ended up being 'number with a person somewhere in the frame'.

RovingMike likes this.
  3. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I think it will make a great photo book.

4. EightBitTony

5. RovingMike

Well done!

EightBitTony likes this.
  6. EightBitTony

Well, I'm up to #94. Many of the last set of numbers have been entirely uninspiring. The harder they are to find, the lower quality image I usually end up with, because I'm tired and annoyed by the time I do find one. But I'm plugging on. I think I'll stop at 100.

I'm also (hilariously) thinking of doing '100 hundreds' when I finish, and finding 100 shots of the number 100.

Anyway, here's the latest lot.

[​IMG]#84 by Tony Evans, on Flickr

[​IMG]#85 by Tony Evans, on Flickr

[​IMG]#86 by Tony Evans, on Flickr

[​IMG]#87 by Tony Evans, on Flickr

[​IMG]#88 by Tony Evans, on Flickr

[​IMG]#89 by Tony Evans, on Flickr

[​IMG]#90 by Tony Evans, on Flickr

[​IMG]#91 by Tony Evans, on Flickr

[​IMG]#92 by Tony Evans, on Flickr

[​IMG]#93 by Tony Evans, on Flickr

[​IMG]#94 by Tony Evans, on Flickr

7. RovingMike

Excellent. I suspect it is going to slow down completely when you get to three digits. Are you stockpiling future numbers, or strictly finding them in sequence?

8. EightBitTony

Strictly in sequence*, otherwise it's just a bunch of nothing shots, only the sequence gives it any value at all (and even though, only a small amount). I'm considering stopping at 100 (oddly, there's plenty of 100 choices).

* Although if I see an interesting number, I try and remember where it was so that when I get to that point I can go back. Inevitably though, I find other examples, I've only gone back to seen numbers a few times, and in nearly all cases it was during the same walk.

9. RovingMike

Makes sense. Nice project.

10. EightBitTony

Thanks Mike, it gets me out of the house even when inspiration is missing, because I know if I keep looking I'll find a number. And despite my self criticism, and self disparaging remarks, it's made me a more observant photographer overall.

Geren likes this.
  11. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I think it has been a great project and although inevitably I suppose, some shots are more interesting than others, there are enough surprises and variety to keep interest for the viewer. I've been quite taken with the idea of it too - a reason to get out and take photographs even when you might not otherwise have such motivation can only be a good thing, and anything that keeps you looking and seeking for images has to be a benefit overall.

EightBitTony likes this.
  12. EightBitTony

The hardest part, and the one I fail at most but fight against hardest, is finding a number and just snapping it. I've done it enough times, especially when the number has been hard to find, or is found at the end of a long walk, or I'm tired, or the weather is miserable. Easy to see the number, take a snap, rejoice and move on.

Some of those are included because I find the next number in sequence and I have to decide, do I keep looking to replace the snapshot that I haven't processed yet, or do I take the shot of the number I've found, committing myself to the previous shot. I've a fair few unprocessed and unposted for that reason, but sometimes the next number is so glorious and so perfect, the shot before suffers because the snapshot gets posted.

It's been fun, but I'm definitely ready to draw a line under it at 100!

I look back at each of them, and I remember the moment I took the shot, which is quite impressive. Hard to believe I've been doing it for 2 years (started March 2017).

6 to go.

Dan S and Geren like this.
  13. EightBitTony

I'll finish this thing if it kills me.

Catriona likes this.
  14. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Looks like it’s finished you. I can’t see an image.

15. EightBitTony

I didn't post one :) Let's face it, at this point, the actual photographs are terrible, it's literally just the journey :)

16. EightBitTony

17. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I might have to find that hairdresser. I am overdue a full head regrowth!
    Well done for getting there.

EightBitTony likes this.
  18. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Nice work - I've enjoyed following this!

Cheers, Jeff

Dan S and EightBitTony like this.
  19. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

Wow, this is just brilliant! It's totally inspiring. Thank you so much for sharing, not just the photographs, but your journey and how you made your decisions. It's a wonderful thing!

EightBitTony likes this.
  20. EightBitTony

Thanks Dan.