1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Contiguous Numbers

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by EightBitTony, Sep 6, 2017.

1. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I mentioned this in the Talking Pictures forum (I think that's where it was), it's my 'shooting numbers in sequence' personal project.

I thought I'd start a thread here, and then keep it up-to-date with where I am as I go along. Obviously, I post the images to both Flickr and Instagram, so if you are unlucky enough to follow me on those, you'll have seen these already. Apologies.

Here's a small selection of the numbers since March.

[​IMG]#1 by Tony Evans, on Flickr

[​IMG]#4 by Tony Evans, on Flickr

[​IMG]#11 by Tony Evans, on Flickr

[​IMG]#24 by Tony Evans, on Flickr

[​IMG]46 by Tony Evans, on Flickr

2. EightBitTony

And today, I finally found a 47.

[​IMG]#47 by Tony Evans, on Flickr

I've searched high and low for a #47. I think, to date, it's required the most walking of any of the numbers I've photographed. I've walked all over Nottingham city centre, and the surrounding areas. I've been frustrated (I found a door between #45 and #49 which I knew was #47 but it had no number on it), and I've been tired. I've got a couple of grab shots, one from a bus stop and one which I faked by shooting the #47 on the end of a #147 but I knew I was never going to use it. Today, I stayed local and walked around the town centre where I live, and then I took a walk through the old gravestones that lean up against the wall around the church. There are probably around a hundred of them, and there's only one on which the age #47 appears. There are tragically too many where children died very young in the 1800's as well. A sombre place, and a sombre number.

3. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

If you'd come to visit me in my old house I could have given you a 47!

EightBitTony and Catriona like this.
  4. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Good job you didn't live 22 doors down the road!

Craig20264 and EightBitTony like this.
  5. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Heaven forfend.

EightBitTony likes this.
  6. EightBitTony

I rather suspect you would have given me a thick ear and a good telling off :)

7. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

What's so good about 25?

8. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

That's up the road!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

To be fair, 22 doors down the road is number 91. He was a crotchety old fellow who didn't like cats so I doubt he'd have given you anything.

10. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Interesting. So are you at 100 now?

11. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

or 46 up the road...

12. EightBitTony

Me or @Geren ?

I got 48, 49 and 50 today. I'm not really happy with the 48, but I like the 49 so the 48 has to stay. The 50 is marginal, I may keep looking. I'll post the updates later when I get them off the camera.

13. EightBitTony

[​IMG]#48 by Tony Evans, on Flickr

Chuckles Guesthouse in Derby (apparently).

14. EightBitTony

#49 (which I'm pretty pleased with).

[​IMG]#49 by Tony Evans, on Flickr

Geren and RovingMike like this.
  15. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

I quite like the 48, good name for a guesthouse. You did well to spot 49.

16. EightBitTony

If there's no other merit to these photographs, the fact that it forces me to observe my surroundings and explore places I've never been to is enough.

Geren likes this.
  17. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I was about to say this - just searching for one particular element wherever you go gets you in the habit of properly looking around you which for a photographer, has to be a good thing!

EightBitTony and SXH like this.
  18. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

True. A significant proportion of the pictures I get from my bridge-hunting expeditions are not of bridges.

Geren and EightBitTony like this.
  19. EightBitTony

#50 - [​IMG]#50 by Tony Evans, on Flickr

From Nottingham city centre today (I ignored the #50 I already had from Derby, it wasn't inspiring).

Geren and Craig20264 like this.
  20. EightBitTony

It's been a long few weeks since September 17th. Work sucks, life is a roller coaster. I've floated between no time, no motivation, why am I even bothering, why can't I get out with my camera, where are all the numbers, and cover a fair few kilometres. I've had a 51 shop number for a while, but was never inspired by it.

I'm not sure this is any more inspiring to me, but I need to post it and move on, #52 is just around the corner I'm sure.

[​IMG]#51 by Tony Evans, on Flickr