1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer to Monitor Connection Advice

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by dangie, Oct 18, 2017.

1. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Currently run a dual monitor set up.
    One monitor connected DVI to DVI
    The other monitor connected VGA to VGA (this monitor only has VGA socket)

Just purchased a new desktop PC

Apparently on the new PC the DVI & VGA output sockets from the integrated graphics card are disabled as the PC has an added graphics card (please excuse my ignorance on computer matters)

However on the added graphics card there is only a DVI output (which I can use for the DVI monitor) but no VGA output.

So how can I connect the VGA monitor?

If it helps there is an an HDMI output from the graphic card available.

Thank you

2. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Can the VGA port be enabled, either by the user or a computer enthusiast?

3. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Why not just buy a HDMI male to VGA female adapter and use the spare HDMI port on your graphics card?

I've just had a quick search on Amazon and they're £5.59 each - wouldn't that do the job?

Cheers, Jeff

4. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Thanks for the quick reply Gents.
    I didn't know about the adapter, suppose i should have thought of that one first.
    I've sent an email off to Chillblast who I bought the PC from. You never know, if the adapter is that cheap they may send me one...!!

As a side issue, the PC was bought as a ready built package and not a custom build. In its specifications it was advertised as having 1-DVI and 1-VGA output. This is really not the case if the VGA output is not available to use.

5. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Often the dvi and vga that are built in are mutually exclusive, but having a dedicated card does not mean you cannot use one of them.
    Plug your VGA monitor in, reboot, then right click the desktop, choose display settings and tell it what you want to do with the second monitor. VGA won't be picked up without being told to do so, which is the advantage of digital.

If you don't see the second monitor, go into device manager, find the installed graphics card and enable it. Sometimes they are disabled from the bios (or whatever the hell it is called now) so may need to be enabled there as well.

6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

It will probably be necessary to go into BIOS settings to re-enable an onboard graphics card.