1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Competition - APOY 2014

Discussion in 'Amateur Photographer Of the Year (APOY)' started by Chrissie_Lay, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Chrissie_Lay

Chrissie_Lay AP Editor's PA

[​IMG]

Your chance to enter the UK's most prestigious competition for amateur photographers.

Please go to the APOY 2014 home page http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/apoy14 for full details about this year's competition.

The first round is Street Life and the closing date is 5pm, 28 March 2014.

This year's competition is sponsored by Olympus http://www.olympus.co.uk/

2. PMurrell

PMurrell Well-Known Member

Determined to make every round this year!

3. luisport

luisport Well-Known Member

As the Kraken has been unleashed, my entry is in. I am meant to enter all rounds this year.

4. RexK

RexK Well-Known Member

A question Re: Competition - APOY 2014

Can you please give some guidelines about image content?

I have a street image which contains the word 'BULLSHIT' would this be accepted?

Cheers Rex Kersley

5. 2lude

2lude Well-Known Member

trying like mad to get an picture worth entering and now missed the dead line :-(

6. xjonz

xjonz Member

I've done that.

7. xjonz

xjonz Member

Judging

Question: Do the judges see the names of the participants when judging the photo's?

Request: If they do see peoples names when judging a photo, I want to suggest that peoples names be blocked from viewing before the picture is judged.

Why: Because it may influence their decision. You may say that the judges unbiased and judge the competition fairly. If they come across people that have done well in the past they may think this person is a good photographer score them highly ... if not consciously ... subconsciously. Dan dekan for example seemed to do far to well in the 2013 competition.

Have I made my point clear to you?

Regards

8. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

Re: Judging

Given that the filename has to be the photographer's name, it would be hard to hide it. But accusing judges of personal bias is a bit naive. I am sure that all the entries are scored fairly against a specified set of objective criteria.

9. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

:)

David Bailey

10. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I've only just got my computer fully back up and running so I've missed the deadline too :-(

11. xjonz

xjonz Member

Its the reply I expected. Subconsciously biases are formed and some folk who have done very previously could score way better. I suggest the file name with the persons name policy be changed.

Regards

12. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I think your allegations are utterly disgraceful, and you've been incredibly rude to Dan Deakin for good measure. :(

13. PMurrell

Dan Deakin, from experience I guess, has managed to grasp what is required perhaps? I know in the past I haven't given much thought to my entries but now being more patient with myself in trying to fulfill the brief.

Did DD score in every round last year?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  14. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

15. luisport

luisport Well-Known Member

Although in some instances I have disagreed with some of the choices, it has happened to all of us, I wouldn't say that the decissions are biased.
    If we analize the rounds from different editions of APOY, we can see different selection criteria. I assume, due to the aesthetic vision of the judges - who I infer - change from year to year.
    There are some examples of top performers, even overall champs - passing from winning the title to hardly ever scoring the following year. There other competitors that have frequently been in the top ten without ever approaching the prizable positions. There have been champs that haven't won a round without this being a minus to their consistency as solid performers.

16. PMurrell

17. yahya

yahya Member

Hi please, can we enter using a close up photos of insects in the second round : animal planet,
    I believe its ok! what do you think?

18. PMurrell

Hi Yahya,

There is a round Macro World specifically for plants, flowers and insects commencing 2 August.

19. yahya

yahya Member

thanks for the reply, yes I saw the macro round but how about entering a close-up into this one here because close ups are not macro !! what do you think if I entered a photo of a closeup butterfly would it be considered or it would not because of the macro round ?
    thanks a lot ;)
    a butterfly or insects in general is also wildlife ?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  20. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Of course they are wildlife.
    How you interpret the rest of it is up to you.
    I've never heard of anything being disallowed.