1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Competition: APOY 2013

Discussion in 'Amateur Photographer Of the Year (APOY)' started by Chrissie_Lay, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chrissie_Lay

Chrissie_Lay AP Editor's PA

Amateur Photographer of the Year 2013

[​IMG]

Your chance to enter the UK's most prestigious competition for amateur photographers.

Please go to the APOY 2013 home page for full details about this year's competition.

The first round is Portraits in Artificial Light and the closing date is 5pm, 28 February 2013

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  2. AdrianSadlier

AdrianSadlier Well-Known Member

I am so looking forward to this year - I only entered half of the rounds last year.

This year I hope to enter them all - maybe even make a top 50 if I'm lucky! Even if I don't, the process itself will be challenging, and, to me, most importantly, fun.

Roll on APOY - good luck to everybody

Adrian

3. Brendan1980

Brendan1980 Well-Known Member

Me too!!

I entered a couple last year but had no expectation due to being so new to photography and having so much to learn. this year I feel that, although I don't expect to win or get near to winning I feel I can at least compete a bit more. the competition is more than the wining for me though, it's about testing yourself and getting the creative juices flowing which they have been for me. I read this yesterday and instantly came up with two or three ideas for a few rounds and I've not slept too well, because my mind is working on other ideas. :D

I can't wait. I think my first entry is already done! I just happen to have organised my first shoot of the year and completed that last week, and the photos seem to have gone down well with others.

4. AdrianSadlier

AdrianSadlier Well-Known Member

...... and so it begins!

first round entry in (and acknowledged)

5. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

6. johncb84

johncb84 Well-Known Member

I’m going to give it ago this year. I followed last year’s competition with great interest; there were some fantastic photos and Dan Deakin was a very worthy winner. I patically liked his photos in the Exploring the City and Life in Monochrome categories – certainly a very hard act to follow.

7. benconnect

benconnect New Member

I have a question. What level of editing or digital correction is allowed or deemed to be within the spirit of the competition? The reason I ask is that a shot I want to enter for this month is shot at night under artificial light. The problem with this is that being quite new to this I only have 2 lenses, the most suitable being the 18-55 kit lens so it is difficult to get the background exposed correctly whilst avoiding high ISO's and overexposing the foreground etc. anyway, I won't bore you with the details. What I would like to do is to take 2 exposures, one that is shot fast to get the textural detail and sharpness I need in the subject (resulting in a dull background) and one at a longer exposure to bring out the colour and light of the rest of the scene. What I then plan on doing is layering them over one another in photoshop and using various tools, retain the first images detail whilst bringing the colour & brightness through from the 2nd shot. Would the judges frown upon this use of a 2nd shot to enhance the colour and light in the main shot? Composition wise I would not include any detail from the 2nd shot, just the colour and brightness.

I would appreciate any advice on this, as far as I can tell there is nothing in the rules to say this cannot be done.

8. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

Indeed not :) If there were I believe that AP would have to disavow part of its heritage.

Alfred Horsley Hinton and Pictorialism

AP would also have to get back the prize given to AP competition winner and contributor... Alfred Stieglitz

As for:
    That is for the entrant to judge. Darkroom or Lightroom...

Good luck ;)

9. benconnect

benconnect New Member

Brilliant :) thanks.

10. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Just sent mine in. I've done something completely different to anything I've done before so... the judges may just like it *fingers crossed*

11. benconnect

benconnect New Member

Do all photos entered receive a score of some kind or is it only the top 50 images in each round? If so, is there any way to see your scores as the year goes on? I don't expect to get top 50 in any round (although it would be nice) especially as this is my first year entering the contest and I've only had an slr for about 18 months. It would be nice to have some sort of score though as it would give me a target to beat in the next round / next year.

12. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

If you take a look at the results of one of the rounds from last year, you'll see that the first 50 are named and given points.

Round 10 for example

Then you have the leader board that gets updated with the top 10 photographers

13. Jacqui Jay

Jacqui Jay Grasshopper's Sage

I'm in. Only managed three entries last year, we'll see what this year brings.

14. IanJTurner

IanJTurner Well-Known Member

Managed to get a pic in for every round last year, except the final round - which I missed due to forgetfulness, which was extremely annoying. Even managed a couple of top thirties - pictures printed in the mag and everything - and I really wasn't expecting that.

This year I'm really going to try and get one in for all the rounds.

15. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Will you be able to get one photo to cover all the different rounds? ;) :D

16. Jürgen Warschun

Jürgen Warschun Well-Known Member

I've tried to get some points in the APOY competitions in 2010, 2011 and 2012, but my pics have never gone into the Top 100 or so, so I'm not going to send you any now, but I've got two words I would like to tell you:

I love "street photography" and I can't see this for 2013, except for "Life in motion", which would be suitable, if you work with a tripod and capture long exposure street pics, and, of course, "People at work", as long as they're working in public space. But why are just landscapes allowed in "Black and White"? To avoid the typical "B&W Street Photograph" cliché?

I think, "Chaos" would be a nice theme for a competition, because we do usually everything to get clean images and to avoid any chaos :))

Be good.
    Jürgen

17. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

Which is unfortunate Jürgen. The raison d'etre of APOY and the AP monthly forum competition is to encourage photographic endeavour. Themes are most often chosen after consultation with AP readers and forum members. Additionally some themes are intended to be outside any 'comfort zone' and open to interpretation.

Regards
    m

18. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

Just entered for the first time. Not holding out any great hopes but, hey, you never know.

19. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

Exactly. Good luck beatnik :)

20. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

Cheers. The fiver's in the post. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.