1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Competition: APOY 2012

Discussion in 'Amateur Photographer Of the Year (APOY)' started by Chrissie_Lay, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Chrissie_Lay

Chrissie_Lay AP Editor's PA Staff Member Forum Admin

Amateur Photographer of the Year 2012

Your chance to enter the UK's most prestigious competition for amateur photographers.

Please go the > APOY12 < home page for full details about this year's competition.

This month's round is Water in the Landscape and the closing date is 5pm, 24 February 2012

In association with Samsung and Jessops

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2012
  2. ldimag1ne

ldimag1ne Member

Hi, I've been waiting for this great competition to kick off again, but the instructions seem a little unclear, if you are entering by post (I know Luddite!) - where's the address to send it to? Also, it says must be accompanied by an entry form - but the only one I can find says do not use? Could someone please provide the address, and say what the entry form is? I've completed the disclaimer and camera/photo and personal details - is this all that's required??

Apologies if I've missed the obvious!:p

Kind regards
  3. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

Hi and apologies address details can be found here, in hard copies of AP as well as my signature :)

Amateur Photographer, Blue Fin Building, 110 Southwark Street, London SE1 0SU

Would you please point me to this, I will have it investigated :)

PS. On this subject, for those entering by email, please note the correct email address and the copy and paste instructions :)

I earn no more than 10% of my total annual income or £5,000 annually from photography (tick to confirm) [ ] Please return my entry. I enclose an SAE [ ] OR: I do not need my entry returned [ ] (tick one to confirm). This entry has not previously been published in a national UK photography magazine [ ] (tick to confirm). Amateur Photographer, published by IPC Media Ltd ('IPC'), will collect your personal information to process your entry. If you would like to receive emails from Amateur Photographer and IPC containing news, special offers and product and service information and take part in our magazine research via email, please tick here [ ] Amateur Photographer and IPC would like to contact you by post or telephone to promote and ask your opinion on our magazines and services. Please tick here if you prefer not to hear from us. [ ] IPC may occasionally pass your details to carefully selected organisations so they can contact you by telephone or post with regards to promoting and researching their products and services. Please tick here if you prefer not to be contacted [ ] If my entry is not successful, I would like Damien Demolder to critique my image in the Appraisal column [ ]

I presume that
    Does not apply to email entries :)
  4. ldimag1ne

ldimag1ne Member

Thanks for the information, appreciated. I did think the address would probably be the one provided, just wanted confirmation. Strange but I couldn't find it when I looked:confused:. Also I now can't find the entry form, which said do not use!! :eek:

Anyway, I appreciate the quick response.

Kind regards.
  5. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

No problem I believe I have found the page you were referring to.

I am told the auto inclusion of this form is a feature of the present site build, one which will hopefully be rectified in the new build :)

To find a downloadable, printable copy of the entry form visit > here <. Alternatively may I humbly suggest purchasing the relevant copy of AP, it helps to keep the competition going ;) :D

6. ldimag1ne

ldimag1ne Member

No worries, I do purchase the mag almost every week ;). Still the entries gone now, so fingers crossed!

Kind regards
  7. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

:) Good luck to you... and all entrants :)
  8. peterjuerges

peterjuerges Active Member

Hi there...tried to submit my first image on Friday but it has bounced back saying...
    "This message hasn't been delivered yet. Delivery will continue to be attempted.
    The server will keep trying to deliver this message for the next 4 days, 19 hours and 51 minutes. You'll be notified if the message can't be delivered by that time."
    so I have tried a second time now with hotmail but again that has come back as unable to deliver etc ...

Is there a problem? How do I know if the entry has actually arrived in time...is there some kind of response? Is this issue being addressed?

Perhaps someone has some answers...

Regards Peter J.
  9. Fen

Fen <span style="font-weight: bold; color: #AF7817;">L

You'll probable get a reply from Mr Jacobs saying he will check it out on Monday when he's back in the office. But, to me it sounds more like your server (hotmail) trying to send out the message and the error happening at that point rather than on the AP server side of things.

Does hotmail have a limit on the size of files it can send?
  10. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Hotmail does have a limit (10MB) but it normally refuses the file(s) at the point where they are being uploaded. In fact my entry was 7.3MB and it went with apparently no problem.
    My reading of that error message is different from yours and I suspect that there was a glitch at the IPC end, the advice from Mark will probably be just to resend the email.

11. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

Hi there Peter

As Fen says, he knows me so well, I will investigate on Monday :)

Once I've recovered from searching through a decades worth of bound volumes... ;)
  12. Fen

I've only ever seen that message on out-going mail where either the mail-host software of the persons actual ISP has a block on file sizes. I remember (way back when type of thing) when a friend kept trying to send me an email with a photo they wanted me to edit and they kept getting this sort of message. Turned out that his ISP had a 2mb file limit on sending.

Oh well. Hopefully Mark will be able to throw more light on the problem on Monday :)

More than likely the in-box is flooded with all the entries again.
  13. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

Ahem :)

Although this is a possibility. based on early APOY email setup problems, a script should now transfer all entries from the APOY inbox to a hard drive and dispatch a received receipt (hence my drawing attention to the correct email address to which to send entries).

TBH I also suspect this is an outgoing mail message (or entries - in general - are being sent to an incorrect, unscripted - and therefore now full - AP email address. Which in addition also prevents PR releases, general enquiries, letters etc getting through :)
  14. daveben

daveben Well-Known Member

I had the same message on Friday when I sent my entry in. However, today the "your entry has been received" message has arrived so I assume someone has been in and cleared the blockage!
  15. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

Apparently there were power shutdowns in the building at certain times over the weekend.

Should anyone have sent their entry to the correct email address and are yet to receive a receipt I would advise sending again.
  16. Fen

EHB's hair dryer?
  17. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

How very drol. Oops! I meant drôle; or perhaps droll :p

*In answer to your enquiry... possibly. She has two - it's a long story! Apparently the new one isn't as goo... :)
  18. mitradkmitra

mitradkmitra Member

In both the rounds 1 and 2, while giving the declaration I have put 'X' in the brackets which are applicable(and I want to confirm) and left those blank which are not applicable. Is it ok ? or I need to put tick mark which I want to confirm and put 'X' which are not applicable ? Please confirm so that I can do it correctly from next round.
    If whatever I have done is not correct can you please consider my 'X' as tick for round 2 ?
    Thanks and regards,
    Dilip Kumar Mitra
  19. mitradkmitra

mitradkmitra Member

As the instruction says "Copy and paste the following into the body of your email and tick or mark "x" in the brackets below where applicable", I thought I can use either tick or x to indicate my confirmation ... Dilip Kumar Mitra
  20. TheresaH

TheresaH Well-Known Member

I have a question aswell... sorry if I've overlooked this anywhere! Are the points that are given taken over to each new round? So people who have entered every round will have more than those who haven't? Does this affect chances of winning? I ask because I haven't entered the first two rounds (or any APOY competition before) but am thinking of entering some of the following rounds as I possibly can. :)