1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CompactFlash memory card

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by RogerChristie, Sep 2, 2010.

1. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

hang on I think I've got the hang of this...the difference is because of GB and GiB......isn't it :D :D
    Perhaps a way to remember it is oh I dunno say Gordon Brown and Good in Bed....clearly one isn't going to be the other....is it :D :D

2. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

further to your comment... if you look at my post it was in reply to Spinno and not yours

3. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

and further to your comment you'll see I've replied earlier in that well known language bullshitandbollox

4. Nod

Nod Well-Known Member

The only fair thing to do is to gather together all those extra bits and bytes and send them to Mr Christie to make up for the shortfall on his card.

5. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

and just to confuse Apple since OS-X 10.6 have changed the way things are displayed......

[​IMG]

So my 320gb disk is 319.73gb

The previous way of displaying sizes is shown on the left of the next pic.......

[​IMG]

Though the name is different it's the same volume. Left is OS-X 10.5 right is 10.6

6. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Nick has these cards. So question for Nick the 32,010,731,520 is that free space or capacity under XP in FAT32?

Question for Roger (I have looked at the thread again) the figure you quoted was it the capacity byte count under XP FAT32 or free space?

The whole GB and GiB is not a help issues. It a issues for the SI to sort out. If we stick to byte numbers although long there will be no confusion over GB or GiB and which is 1024^3 or 1000^3.

I did look at 1GB from Olympus and Kingston under XP using USB and PCMCIA reader. They both report the same capacity.

So if Nick is quoting capacity and Roger is quoting capacity. Then Roger you have some kind of problem. :(

I am presuming that Nick's cards are also Kingston Elite Pro.

7. P_Stoddart

It is clear that Apple have decide to join the SI ranks. So now on there system 1GB = 1,000,000,0000 bytes. Previous it was 1GB = 1073741824 bytes. The drive is no bigger in real terms just the way GB is now calculated.

Personally it is asking for trouble with US consumers because you got to by a Apple product having a drive saying 300GB. Get it home and because of formating the free space or capacity report is below 300,000,000,000 and reports less than 300GB. Your older machine will show over 300GB capacity. Because the new drive is smaller in byte count.

They should cover themselves by showing the GiB count as well. Explain this is equal to the old GB before 10.6

8. RogerChristie

RogerChristie Well-Known Member

A perfectly valid comment, IvorETower, hence my original question "I have a nominally 32GB Flash card. Can anyone tell me by how much I might expect the actual memory to vary from this capacity?"
    No-one has come up with an answer. I guess the "tolerance" isn't published anywhere.

9. RogerChristie

Edited by Fen (15:27 06/09/2010)

Thanks, Fen, but I can't actually see what it was you edited.

10. RogerChristie

Thanks Nod. Just pop them all on a 32G Flash card and I'll be delighted. :D

11. RogerChristie

That's Win XP and FAT32 (on all the cards I checked). It makes no odds as far as I can see. The Properties dialog reports <u>total</u> capacity which, as I said before, shows a little over the nominal capacity for five 8GB and one 16GB cards (of the same brand) but significantly under for the 32GB card.

Yes I have, but it's not actually with the fact that I got a faulty card, but rather that the manufacturer, supplier and Trading Standards won't acknowledge that it is faulty, and even suggest that it is "normal and acceptable". Not to me it isn't!

Yes, that's what Nick said.

12. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Win 7, but capacity, yes. If it was free space, Roger's issue would be worse, anyway. And yes, they're Kingston Elite Pro cards.

13. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member

Isn't this right at the heart of the problem, comparing Apples and Pairs? :eek: :D :D :D

I'll get my coat. [​IMG]

14. P_Stoddart

So can we possibly draw the conclusion that Roger may have either a faulty card or his hardware/software is having some kind of read/formating problem. Kingston website say they do use some internal system to log bad sectors etc.

If Nick can get over 32,000,000,000 bytes with the same cards under Win7 but Roger cannot then it could be a rogue card. Get it/them swapped under warranty.

Here is a idea what do you get when the card is installed into a camera and the camera is connected to the USB. Therefore using the camera as a card reader. Any help?

Nick what hardware do you use to read your 32GB cards?

15. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

But Roger actually knew all that before he even posted...