1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Commission headache!

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by James good, Mar 15, 2017.

1. James good

James good New Member

Hi, after spending lots of time on amateur projects I have been offered the opportunity to provide a photography service at a small holiday venue. I would be providing all the equipment/services/ paying for own travel/accomodation etc. I have been asked what commission I will be charging and as an up to now complete amateur am really unsure how to pitch it. Any advice would be very very welcome!

2. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

You need to cover all your costs, and earn more than the minimum wage for each hour you work, otherwise it's not worth it. Work out how many hours you're going to spend (including all travel), and how many photographs you're going to sell at whatever price is being charged, and work it out from there?

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Do the arithmetic. If this is a business (sounds like it) work out your costs, how much you want to make (don't forget tax) and that will give you your gross income needed. Divide that by your activity and it gives a cost per photo. You can talk with an accountant whether you should incorporate or not. It much depends on the liabilities as to how you trade. You need to be hard headed about this and realistic about the business case. Don't underestimate costs. If you are handling a lot of small transaction then book-keeping can eat time.

4. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Agree with all the above, the main difficulty in these cases is trying to predict the income from such a business. It is very easy to overestimate the potential earnings.

What I would say is that if you are considering giving up a regular job with steady income to do this, consider it very carefully before taking the plunge.

5. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

See the other business advice given on another Thread. Holds good for you, too.