1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Colour to BW conversion

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by j4mes81, Jul 12, 2007.

1. j4mes81

j4mes81 New Member

Hello, does anybody know of any software that will convert (digital) colour images to black and white and possibly sepia on bulk. Ie I am taking some wedding photos all in colour but would like to supply the customer with them all in B&W as well but dont want to manually do this in Photoshop one by one when I'm dealing with approx 100 photos

Any suggestions

2. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

You could batch process them in PS, but I think Steeley (Lounge Lizard) posted some software only a couple of days ago about this, dont know if you might find it using a search.

3. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

You could automate in Photoshop with a batch conversion. But I find that there's usually a need to 'tweak' each image individually to get satisfactory results.

<memo2self>Must type faster.

4. Dom_Rivers

Dom_Rivers Well-Known Member

You can batch convert to greyscale in Irfanview (free program from downloads.com)
    However the results will be the same as converting them in any other program, ie, very flat and dull looking, there really is no substitute for doing each one via "levels" (or any one of the other methods within PS etc)and having artistic control over what you achieve.

5. Woolliscroft

Woolliscroft Well-Known Member

I'd agree that each image needs individual attention. The basic B&W conversion in image packages certainly does the basic job, but using levels gives you all the control you could get using coloured filters with B&W film, only with more subtle gradations.

6. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

Have you tried searching the Web? I use various ways to convert to B&W but if you want an easy one-step batch process without setting up your own Photoshop actions then something like Picture Desk Pro might do it. It's shareware so you can try it for free (I haven't tried it myself since I prefer to adjust each picture individually and not all pictures work well in B&W).