1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Colour or black and white - which do you shoot most?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Damien_Demolder, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Damien_Demolder

Damien_Demolder Well-Known Member

Vote on the home page. Digital users - obviously you mostly shoot in colour, but vote according to what you do with the pictures afterwards.

Happy polling.

Got a suggestion for our next poll? Email me at

amateurphotographer@ipcmedia.com

damien demolder

2. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Really difficult question to answer.

I shoot colour all the time (on digital) of course, but some scenes I convert to B&W via Photoshop.

It isn't every photo, just the ones that look better.

So I guess that'd mean I tick the 'colour' box.

3. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

Ditto.

4. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

I think Damien is after the intended output rather than what you capture. After all, every scene we look at is in colour - it's how we choose to interpret it that matters and whether that conversion to B&W is done at time of capture or in Photoshop, is neither here nor there. For example, if you shoot SP then maybe your output is mostly B&W because that's how photojournalism used to be done and how people still mentally like to see it.

5. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

Perhaps Damien should consider rephrasing his question as "Black and white or colour, which do you PRODUCE most" given the very valid point raised by David that in this digital age the vast majority of work is indeed initially shot in colour but this gives no indication as to whether it's final production will be either monochrome or colour? In fairness to Damien he does allude to this very point in his explanation of the question but for anyone who doesn't read this vital point I think the original phrasing of the question could be potentially misleading?

BigWill

6. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

[blonde moment]

What's SP?

[/blonde moment]

7. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

Street Photography?

BigWill

8. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

The box on my film usually says color :( Thankfully when processed in the UK the prints are in colour :)

B&W film is an occasional treat but my digital conversions are rubbish so I don't do that often.

9. Lounge Lizard

I thought SP was a well-known acronym for Street Photography and has often been used before in these forums.

10. bagpuss

bagpuss Well-Known Member

Mono baby!!!

11. Lounge Lizard

Are you referring to traditional SP or blondes here? Maybe we should rename brunettes as 'sepias'... :D

12. bagpuss

bagpuss Well-Known Member

What about redheads such as myself?

13. Hotblack

Hotblack Dead Horse Flogger

Ditto

I quite often experiment to see how a scene would look in mono. Sometimes it works. Many times it doesn't.

I suppose for that reason I have to pick 'Colour'

14. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

I prefer shooting C o l <font color="orange"> o <font color="yellow"> u r but, in most cases, I much prefer the results/prints,etc...in B & W

:)

Jack

15. parisian

parisian Well-Known Member

Simply known as 'trouble' Pam :D

16. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Remind me again what colour Sandra's hair is, Peter? ;-)

17. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

That's how he knows they are trouble ;)

Speaking from personal experience with RedHeads... I agree :D

18. parisian

parisian Well-Known Member

There may indeed be a hint of rouge in Sandra's hair but far be it from me to allow personal experience to interfere with a considered and totally unbiased response :eek: :eek:

19. chris000

chris000 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, I don't understand the question - what's C..O..L..O..U..R ???