1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Closure of Vic Oddens

Discussion in 'News - Discussion' started by PaulatUKcamera, Jun 14, 2005.

1. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

But Vic Oddens was never just a couple of quid - they always had the dearest prices in AP, often by a country mile. In fact I generally used their ads to show my wife what a canny shopper I am (when cornered...... ;))

2. BenS

BenS New Member

Does anyone know how I can contact Vic Oddens?

I used the shop regularly, and went to collect my photos from processing only to find the shop closed!

3. Just come off the phone to an old, well established, dealer

"I see you no longer list an address in AP or your website"

"I don't want ill informed customers wasting my time & theirs by coming here and enquiring about cameras I don't stock"

At first I was a bit horrified, but he said the internet had brought profound changes to his marketplace. Previously his advert in AP attracted knowledgeable customers who were interested in the typically "high end" cameras he deals in.

The internet has caused him to rethink about whom he wants in his shop, as he was getting loads of customers wanting digital compacts, which he doesn't sell.

In many ways he is right, for turning people away at the door is not good public relations. I think he is missing a business opportunity. On the other hand without a high street presence, he can now concentrate on his "core" customers at, presumably, lower prices.

Is this the way to go for the small independant?

What do you think?

4. HouldenCaulfield

HouldenCaulfield New Member

It always makes me laugh when I hear people decrying the loss of yet another photo dealer.

As a student I worked in an independent dealer and all I ever heard from these so called loyal customers was “ I can get it cheaper of the internet”

Sure they wanted the wealth of knowledge, the demonstration, the comparison with other models but they always wanted internet prices.

Last week I went back to my old shop to buy a camera and lens, I discovered that because the camera importer had done a deal on 50+ which is unattainable for most small dealers my old shop could not get anywhere near the price the two biggest internet dealers are offering.

Fact is that camera importers by supporting very large internet based warehouses with very large quantity discounts are forcing small independent dealers out of business.

The other trick importers are using is to ‘cap’ the credit limit of smaller dealers so that they cannot obtain the quantities to be competitive.

Basically the UK photographic industry is a cosy cartel feathered by a mixture of camera importers and very large distributors.

The net result is in this country we pay more for our camera equipment than either the Americans or the Far East.

As for me I am buying my equipment from the Far East….

5. GlennM

GlennM Well-Known Member

In 1990 (as a young upstart of 21) I left work early and rushed to the shop to buy a Cobra dedicated flashgun for my Olympus OM-2sp and also ended up buying a tripod and some film, all following an advert in AP.

Shame.

6. Martin35

Martin35 New Member

On a note of self-interest, I don't do my own developing, and Vic Oddens was the only place I could find that could produce enlargements of some of my old 126 negs (don't ask why I would want that...).

They said they were the same size as 135, without the sprockets, and did them at standard price.
    Anyone any suggestions as to an alternative supplier?

7. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

126 negs are not exactly the same size as 35mm but almost. They require manual handling by a lab operator and many labs refuse to touch anything that can't be automated. You may find a lab that is sympathetic and handle the film (or even have 126 film holders for their machines). The lab I used to manage did it solely because I told the operators not to turn away business just because it involved them in a little more work.

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Re: Domiplans

So which one was the winner, Paul?

9. Re: Closure of Vic Oddens - a record 2000+ views - why?

Another bit of trivia - this thread has been the first to break 2000 views on this forum.

Surely this is not a true reflection of member's interests - the fate of one (admittedly, well known) camera shop?

Certainly, I had expected the topic entitled "Nikon DSLRs" to be the first to break the 2000 barrier, but its now stuck in the low 1900s having led for a long while.

Or one of the "what shall we do with the nude model" type of questions

Strange!

10. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

Re: Domiplans

No idea what the answer is to the question of why this thread is so popular but I do have the answer to the "what shall we do with the nude model" one....................send her round to my place!!!!!! ;) ;) ;)

Big(nudge nudge wink wink!)Will