1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clocks

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Derek W, Mar 30, 2019.

1. Derek W

Derek W Well-Known Member

Don't forget the clocks go forward at 1am Sunday morning.

Catriona likes this.
  2. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Ours go back at 2am, Sunday April 7th.

3. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I've done the mountaineering for the kitchen one and with much cursing, got it hung up again - correctly, I hope!

peterba, John Farrell and Derek W like this.
  4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

One of our clocks is radio linked so I just need to look at it tomorrow and then make the others match it. :D

5. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

I have 2 clocks for the "mantlepiece", one on BST the other on GMT (I didn't "downsize" them when moving from large house to small flat) apart from that only the kitchen clock, watch and alarm clock will need setting

6. David Loxley

David Loxley Well-Known Member

Definitely a better thread than those ghastly Brexit ones.

7. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Yeah. Adjusting a few clocks is SO much more important than livelihoods and medical care, innit?

steveandthedogs likes this.
  8. David Loxley

David Loxley Well-Known Member

Ever since she went in to No.10. Mrs. May has worked tirelessly to keep the U.K. IN the E.U.
    She may even succeed completely.
    We will not die with our boots on.
    Those who live 'permanently' within the E.U. are unlikely to be requested to leave,
    They all bring in much needed foreign exchange, the £ Sterling.
    The U.K. will still be subject to the E.C.J. and the Laws provided.

I apologise to Derek for hijacking his thread. D.Lox

9. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I have several "radio-controlled" clocks, and whilst I think they all claimed to be able to manage the hour change, some are better at it than the others. The purely digital ones (i.e. with an LCD) are all fine. Those with analogue hands can be a bit problematic, and if I really needed to know in the morning what the time was, I would turn the radio on! The clock in the kitchen and which is the oldest, is the most reliable. That near my desk can get the sulks, and it might be battery dependent. I think it's got worse since the transmitter was moved to Cumbria. My "Waveceptor" watch is generally reliable.
    Nowadays, I find that the time is corrected in the early morning, but back in 1989 when we gave one of the very early Junghans RC clocks to my father for his 80th birthday, it gave the correct time in the middle of the afternoon, a few minutes after we inserted the battery. None of mine will now do that - they wait until early morning.

10. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

And it's still showing GMT - perhaps another 24 hours, and it may correct itself.

11. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

My computers, phone and iPad change automatically, watches, clocks and microwave need to be changed manually. The car needs to be done manually too but cameras stay on Zulu, well sort of, they drift I had one that was nearly 20 minutes fast recently.

Daylight saving really is a con, unfortunately we can’t seem to agree whether to stick with BST or GMT, my vote is GMT by the way.

Zou likes this.
  12. Andrew Flannigan

My Roberts branded clock will sync up whenever the power is restored. It's fun to watch the hands trundle round to the correct time. :)

13. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

About as much fun as watching paint dry. That brings me to the point of this post. Some long time ago a member said that something was as dull as watching paint dry. We got a quite long and detailed response (from a paint technologist IIRC) about the drying of paint. I found it quite interesting but I'm prepared to accept that I'm in a minority.

I can't find a link to the thread I remember or I'd inflict it on you again.

MickLL

14. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

We have clocks on the microwave and oven, a large wall clock in the kitchen, a station clock in the hall and a clock in the car. Mr Geren deals with the large kitchen and station clocks, I google how to change the oven and microwave clocks and the car clock is usually the cause of divorce proceedings. Mainly because if I get in the car first after the clock change, I will change the time so that it's seven minutes fast and Mr Geren finds this appalling.

15. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I just happened to wake up just before 1am. I watched my Pure DAB bedside clock go from 0:59 to 2:00 in one movement. Magic! Haha1

Geren likes this.
  16. miked

miked Well-Known Member

'Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone'
    Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone,
    Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone,
    Silence the pianos and with muffled drum
    Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come.

Let aeroplanes circle moaning overhead
    Scribbling on the sky the message He Is Dead,
    Put crepe bows round the white necks of the public doves,
    Let the traffic policemen wear black cotton gloves.

He was my North, my South, my East and West,
    My working week and my Sunday rest,
    My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
    I thought that love would last for ever: I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now: put out every one;
    Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
    Pour away the ocean and sweep up the wood;
    For nothing now can ever come to any good.

W H Auden

17. Derek W

Derek W Well-Known Member

I don't bother setting the time on the microwave, I tend to use it for what its meant for and not telling the time.

All clocks and watches that need intervention have now been changed.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  18. Andrew Flannigan

19. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I have a friend whose first job after leaving university was with some paint company or other, arranging for test sheds to be painted with new formulations and then monitoring them over a period of months to see how they fared against the British weather. Not the most interesting job he ever had, or so he says... ;)

Zou likes this.
  20. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Why, oh why, oh why, would you want a clock to read anything but the correct time?

Zou likes this.