1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cliches.....please no more

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by pixelpuffin, Apr 4, 2016.

1. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

A cliché is by definition tired, is it not? Saying tired cliché is a bit like saying an inferno is hot!

2. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

That's what I thought. I suppose I'm just curious about the redundancy.

3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Perhaps one man's tautology is another woman's emphasis? :confused:

4. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Maybe it's the life-cycle of an idea?
    1. That's a classic!
    2. That's good, but I've seen it before somewhere...
    3. That's a bit of a cliche.
    4. Oh god, not again! I'm getting really tired of that cliche!

;)

5. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Oly,

Sorry, you've lost me completely. Who were these people? What did they know (sorry, know)? What did they say? And how have they been proved right?

Cheers,

R.

6. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I think it has to start a bit earlier than that:

1. Here's a new idea. Could do with some work though.
    2. Oh look, some more examples, developing the theme. Not bad.
    3. Oh now, check this one out, this is a classic.
    4. That's good, but I've seen it before somewhere
    5. That's a bit of a cliché
    6. Oh god, not again! I'm getting really tired of that cliché!

Or something.

Also, I've had lots of commentary from people who don't understand my desire to go to art school. Some have said that it's simply not necessary to be an artist. Some have pointed out that I'm hardly more likely to get work just becuase I've been to art school. Some of have opined that people who go to art school are just put through a machine and come out as clones of their tutors. Lots of people seem to think it's pretentious, unnecessary and probably downright foolish. The one thing I would say is that it is teaching me to push my thoughts harder, develop my ideas further and that anything, even a cliché can be a starting point for new work if you only give yourself the tool of a creative process. I don't know that I'd have that framework if I hadn't gone to school to hear about it. I might. Lots of other people might. But I might not. And then I might be churning out the clichés that I undoubtedly was when I started.

7. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Flying cars, Mr Hicks,,,flying cars!

Cheers, Jeff

8. Fishboy

Of course what we really need is forum software that stops you from typing three commas instead of an ellipsis.

9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I think there are several stages after that, too - the rehabilitation of a cliche, and perhaps it's rebirth.

As to art school, well everybody's right to an extent, but especially you. At the very least, it's an experience that should broaden your vision.

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

We have. It's called the Edit function. And we also have a cattle prod. ;)

11. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

And possibly...

7. I've had this great new idea for the picture in our new advertising campaign...

Or something.

If it works for you, do it.

I personally find it easier to be taught technical subjects than to try and pick them up from books or as I go along - I tend to miss bits that way. That might be down to my makeup or the way I was educated as a child.

Not sure about the imagination side though. Need to think more about that.

12. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Or even...
    what AP will be featuring soon...

13. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

This is one of my considerations for next year after I retire. I would love to go to college. I imagine it must feel a bit strange when most people (I assume) are going to be late teens/early 20's)?

14. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

Yep, it's always more difficult to read books when your mascara runs into your eyes.

o_O

15. Fishboy

Maybe he's born with it...

16. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

:p

17. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Depends where you go and what you do. I started off with an HNC in photography at our local FE college. I was not the oldest by a long shot. I think the age range in the class was from 17 to 70. Yes, most of the class were in the lower end of that spectrum but we had assignments to do and we got on with it.

At 47 I am the oldest in the art school class, by about ten years. (First time I typed that out I put 74...I might feel it some days!) But I have found that when it comes to exchanging ideas and producing work, it's no barrier and it even makes things quite a lot of fun - different perspectives, new music and cultural references for me to get my head round. Old stuff to introduce to a new audience. After about the first week I stopped worrying about the age difference. I work well with some people and less well with others and it has nothign to do with how old any of us are. If you fancy it...why not?

18. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

35mm AGFA slide film, 28-70/f4 lens - but don't ask further! Oh, and a smear of grease.

Lynn

19. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Sorry, no offence meant, was not ignoring you, been away. Well I'd put international terrorism a little higher on my list I think. :)

20. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

4b. Hey, that's my idea they've pinched! How dare they!?

7. On the other hand, it's a steady earner.

Lynn

Geren likes this.