1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cliches.....please no more

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by pixelpuffin, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Sounds like me. :)

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Isn't that somewhat of a cliche, Kate? ;)

I love the challenge of a photographic cliche - to try to find something different. Usually I find that the cliche is actually the best shot I can spot, but every now and then there's something new to find.

3. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Cliches become cliches because they quickly and easily convey an idea.
    As such, they are probably a useful, if lazy, way off conveying certain ideas.
    Plus, without cliches, there would be fewer things to subvert in a humorous/ironic/whatever way. ;)

IMO, YMMV etc.

4. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

Just wondering . . . is there a subtle difference between 'a cliche' and 'a classic'?

I've heard folk describe images as "a classic street photo" or "a classic landscape", but what are they really saying? :(

5. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

No.

The difference is not subtle.

By definition, a cliché is uninteresting and ineffective. A classic can be very interesting and effective.

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Whilst not disagreeing with you in the slightest, Eric, I would say that one person's classic can be another person's cliche.

7. PhotoEcosse

Yep. I could not disagree with that. My photographs of lone trees are classics. Someone else's might be clichés. It depends upon both the intention and the execution.

However, it could get deeper than that. What one person perceives as a classic might be perceived by a less imaginative person as a cliché. Or vice versa (in both directions, maybe even at the same time). :eek:

Benchista likes this.
  8. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

?

9. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

You often hear or read the the words "a tired cliché". This made me wonder if there is a distinction to be made between a cliché and a tired cliché?

As for 'classic', I suppose it depends on how else you use the word as to your interpretation. It could mean a one off, one of its kind, exemplary version - from which all clichés are born. Or it could just mean old. There's your not-so-subtle difference.

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Your Mileage May Vary.

11. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Ah!

12. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Sorry about the confusion - I thought it was a well known, standard contraction.

Obviously not. :oops:

13. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Indeed Geren. I have seen a flower shot, in original contemporary print form, by St Ansel of Carmel. Wonderful it is to me - a favourite, albeit one of many. Cheers, Oly

14. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

It possibly is. But like clichéd photography, new to some!

15. 0lybacker

Agree on the whole, Roger, but with exceptions. In the 1970s, those who knew were already writing about photography in the 21st century. What is more amazing is that they were right! Cheers, Oly

16. 0lybacker

I like that Lynn. Well done. 35mm lens? Plus ... ? Cheers, Oly

17. 0lybacker

The reason this place has been likened by one member to Hotel California, with the name being readily adopted by other Forum members, is due to Threads like this. Fascinating - as Mr Spock would say. Bit of a mystery why so many members seem to have been disappearing of late.

Live long and prosper!

18. PhotoEcosse

And, insofar as the opposite of "classic" is "contemporary", I am sure that there are also plenty of contemporary clichés.

19. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Despite having recently heard 'Hotel California' described as being a bad TripAdvisor review followed by a five minute guitar solo, I'm guessing that you're talking about checking out any time we like but never being able to leave?

Cheers, Jeff

20. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I've noticed this with several forums, it seems to happen after a revamp of the forum.