1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Cleaning Scratches' on rear lens element.

Discussion in 'Lens Matters' started by Thomas Keidan, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Thomas Keidan

Thomas Keidan Well-Known Member

Hi All,

I picked up a camera recently that is in near mint condition apart from the one issue mentioned in the title. The rear lens element appears to have a number of micro scratches on the lens not visible to the naked eye but visible when shining a torch through. Is this an issue at all? I have the option to return the camera but have been struggling to find one in near mint condition. Will this have any noticeable impact on my image quality. i'm a complete novice so I apologise if this is a stupid question! Thanks

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Small scratches on the rear element are very unlikely to have any obvious effect on most pictures. With extreme backlighting they might increase flare. They wouldn't bother me provided the rest of the optics and the mechanics were OK. If in doubt you can test the lens by taking pictures of a sunset with and without trees or similar in front of the sun to see whether the rendering suits you.

3. Thomas Keidan

Great thanks, I will go and shoot a roll tomorrow in a variety of lighting scenarios and see if I notice anything!

4. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

they might well be fungus.

5. Thomas Keidan

Hi, don't think it's fungus!

6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

You are worrying again! Just get on and use it!

7. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Leave well alone.

8. Thomas Keidan

Thanks, will keep and learn not to worry!

9. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

If it works then it's OK

What camera is it BTW?

Thanks

10. Thomas Keidan

Olympus Mju II, so I annoyingly have to wait until I have had film developed with it!

11. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Yes it is annoying having to wait! Not a model I am familiar with but I have heard good things about it. Hope all goes well, as I expect it will and am looking forward to seeing some results.

12. Thomas Keidan

Thanks Roger, I'll make sure to send you some sample shots!

13. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Admittedly it's medium format, so it's a nice big negative to hide any flaws, but I have a camera with a chip in the rear elephant, and I've yet to spot any effect on the neggy.

Irony time... bought in Canada by someone training for Bomber Command, it was made at the Nagel Werke in Stuttgart...

Adrian

14. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

So it's a jumbo chip??? :confused:

15. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Badump-tish!

I'll try to find a photo when I get home - I was quite startled when I saw it, it's very noticeable.

Adrian

16. William Parker

William Parker Well-Known Member

It can be quite amazing what you can see when you shine a powerful light through the rear of a lens. I did this with an Elmar F2.8 not long back and could not understand what was causing what I can only describe as minute bubbles on the edge of the front element when viewed from a side angle.
    When the lens was partly stripped and the front element removed I realised it was the result of minute paint chips on the cup like device with slots in it that control the iris blades.!

17. David Traynor

David Traynor Member

Are you using a magnifying glass when buying a new camera?
    I did years ago and found all kinds of things that I thought were faults with the lenses.
    After a while I realised that the best test for a camera's lens is to use it. If you like the results, it's a good lens.
    David

18. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

India ink. If a scratch or chip is gross and causes glare then just black it up with india ink. use a very fine sable hair brush bought from an artist supply shop.