1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Classic Voigtlander 'VITO B' another 'Gift' !!

Discussion in 'Classic Models & Marques' started by PeteE, Feb 20, 2019.

1. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

Given this on Friday at Club by a Club member who has had it from new for over 60 years ! I have never owned one of these 1950's German 'Classics' . The lens is the famous 'Color-Skopar' 50mm f3.5 and shutter is Prontor SVS 1-1/300th + B and flash synch for Bulbs and Electronic + Delayed action. You have to take off base-plate to load cassette on Left chamber. the only thing I do NOT like I've found so far is that you have to have a film loaded before the shutter will fire, so i cannot look through the back with shutter open on 'B' to check lens. Also. found there is a 'Premature Shutter Release Fault' whereas when i wind on, the shutter fires at end of stroke before I can press proper release button -- I got a reply from a kind Yank on Photrio Forum that it may be teh cable release plunger is 'Stuck Down'.So I connected a Cable Release and pressed it several time gently then wound film and shutter did NOT fire . i took camera out into garden a d tried again-- once the 'Premature Fault' happened then it seem to have cleared. Maybe there was some 'crud' down in cable release socket. Came with immaculate leather case and a Hood and a 'BEWI' meter in small leather cases. I put 'Neatsfoot Oil' onto leather and saved strap from breaking as it was very dry after 60 years !

[​IMG]Voigtlander Vito B 01 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
    [​IMG]Voigtlander Vito B 02 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

2. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

I did a VIDEO on this Classic VITO B with actual PRINTS taken with it -- you can see it here :

steveandthedogs likes this.
  3. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Another cracking video there Pete!

It prompted me to have a look at my Voigtlander BL and shake my head sadly at it - it's the version with the f2.8 lens and the built-in Bewi meter but everything else about it is much as your B. I acquired it for the princely sum of (I think) £2 at a church jumble sale in Caergwrle in North Wales.

The reason for the sad head shaking is that on it's first trip out with film in it, it suffered a catastrophic failure when all of the shutter leaves collapsed into a small heap inside the bottom of the lens barrel!

Anyway, keep up the good work with the videos.

Cheers, Jeff

4. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I'm too shattered to watch the whole thing tonight (a relaxing weekend with my mother...), but I enjoyed the bits I flicked through. Unfortunately I have no idea about the meter - I have a tiny clip on myself (oo-er), but it's a Kodak one and it's pretty simple.

Incidentally, I love your accant, am I right in thinking that's a proper old-fashioned south Essex accent from before the East End were priced out of London?

Adrian

5. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

Yes -- I came from East Ham but was 'evacuated' to Rochdale in Lancs so acquired a Lancs accent -- on return to London as the Germans invaded Norway and could use airfields to reach Northern Towns my Mum said we may as well get 'Bombed' back in East Ham -- so I acquired an East London Accent then moved here to Brentwood in 1965 -- gone all 'Posh !

6. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

you still sound east london to me.
    However, Up here, in Saddleworth they still say I sound southern after 25 years, but I have lived all over the country with the longest in and around london (NW3) and south east Kent. At one time I was living in Sidmouth but going to school in Shropshire. During the war I was mostly living around London/Croydon and going to school in Westmoreland then Norwich. so my accent is just an amalgam.