1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clarkson...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dangie, Mar 10, 2015.

1. art

art Well-Known Member

That's a fair point. So does it mean that the police would prosecute such a case, even if the victim didn't press charges?

2. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Wotalodabollocks about an arrogant tired old lad and a person only slightly inferior in the hierarchy, and likely far more talented in long term values. This was a playground scrap ending with a split lip, and the receiver of the split lip would seem to be more mature in attitude than the aggressor. He 'didn't run to teacher to tell' did he. This should have ended with an apology and a case of very, very expensive claret, or similar un-needed but never the less very desirable luxury. Personally I would have settled for a Nikon D4, plus the holy trinity, and expected the claret as a bonus outside of the agreement.
    I used the term 'tired' in an ambiguous way. Was that 'tired' in the sense of 'has been'? or was it tired in the sense of 'I've had a long day, and could murder a good steak'? I don't know the answer to that myself, but hope the latter.

3. alindsay

alindsay Well-Known Member

I guess the standard criterion would apply, the probability of a successful conviction. Imagine, say, a victim left in a coma. One might be alarmed if the police only ever waited to see if the victim came round before deciding on a judicial course of action.

4. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

^ ^ ^ :D :D :D

(Have pretty much refrained from direct comment on this - the above does it well for me. 'Personally I would have settled for a Nikon D4, plus the holy trinity, and expected the claret as a bonus outside of the agreement.' - really does it for me! No, on second thoughts make that a D750 instead of a D4, please. And if buying a good port will save you a bob or two, that will do just as well as far as I'm concerned, Mr.C! I'll get the cheeses. :D.)

All the 'commentariat' inside the Beeb and elsewhere all seem to have overlooked forgiveness. Perhaps Oisin Tymon is a Christian? Even if not, he's apparently been very forgiving. Excellent. Should be lauded for the fact. Cheers, Oly

5. art

art Well-Known Member

Well yes, but that's exactly the sort of exaggeration that has dogged this whole story - or non-story.

I'm with Learning on this one.

6. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

I dunno. Whatever happened to eye for eye and tooth for tooth, eh?

Even gods can't get the staff these days...

:D :D :D

[​IMG]

7. alindsay

It was a metaphor rather than an exaggeration, for as it happens, I had a particular case in mind of just this.

8. art

art Well-Known Member

I quite agree that police could/would/should prosecute in the scenario you described, much the same really as in a murder case. But it's not really relevant to a minor fracas such as this.

9. alindsay

You're right. But you did also open it to the more general discussion when you asked "So does it mean that the police would prosecute such a case, even if the victim didn't press charges?"

10. art

art Well-Known Member

". . . such a case . . . "

. . . by which I meant the Clarkson fracas, not something as obviously serious as GBH leaving the victim unable to decide anything.

11. alindsay

I thought you were responding to the point about the possibility of victim intimidation. (The Clarkson case has been done to death, I thought, and no suggestion whatsoever of victim intimidation applied there.)

12. Learning

13. alindsay

Wouldn't it be a hoot if the teams turned up in full-face crash helmets and boxing gloves.

14. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

I'd wager every round was announced with a fresh plate of steak and chips to keep him calm ;)

15. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

16. Learning

He's gone again. Perhaps as well. Remember the treatment poor Angus received after his little embarrassment.

17. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

18. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

I see he's blaming the assault on having a possibility of cancer of the tongue.

Funnily enough, I've just been told to get my tongue checked for a possibly cancerous bit [oh goody, more biopsies], and do you know, I don't want to go and hit anybody!

To do so and blame it on a possible diagnosis is the mark of a bully, a coward and a moral degenerate.

Mind you, look who he's friends with.

S

19. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

Harsh but, I think, very fair.

I've known two or three bullies of that sort and the odd thing is that, once I've stood up to them, they've turned into toadies. I don't know what it is about big chaps like that, which makes them behave in such a way. What I do know is that once you call their bluff, they back off, even when you're a tich like me!

I didn't even need something like this, either...

:D :D :D

[​IMG]

20. art

art Well-Known Member

Or harsh and perhaps a tad unfair?

I think it's fairly well established that stress can cause behavioural changes. I'm fortunate not to know what stress a cancer diagnosis might invoke but from what I've observed in friends I do know the effects can vary greatly from one person to another.

I would suggest that, actually, we have no real idea about Clarkson's motives or personal characteristics so we ascribe them based on media snippets and our own prejudice.

Thus, for some people, it would not matter a jot if his family were being held hostage under the threat of death unless he chinned someone - they would still not be prepared to revise their uninformed opinions of him.

What we don't know, we make up.